Broody or not?

BlueO

Chirping
Nov 8, 2023
Hi all. I have 2 hens and I am hoping that they will go broody in spring! They are both 1 year old runners ,well feed and have a vary…frisky drake. I have had one go broody but she did not understand the ducklings and they did not know to go under her So I ended up taking care of them. Everyone BYC said it was because she was too young and at the time she was only around eight months. Since the spring they’ll be a year I thought that it would be a good time to let them go broody. I’ve also never hatched one of the others eggs and I’d like to see how her ducklings turn out. And if I did have them both go Brady, would I have to separate them once the ducklings are hatched. I know that if one chicken or duck is broody and hatches chicks you should never let it free range but if I have two mamas together in one cage would they be OK?

Help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I haven’t had ducks but once I had a broody chicken who was only 8-9 months old and she did fine. I would think you could keep two broody mamas together, they might coparent their ducklings especially if they make their nests close to each other. I guess if it doesn’t work out you already raised the ducklings yourself and made it work so what have you got to lose by trying again?

I haven’t had ducks but once I had a broody chicken who was only 8-9 months old and she did fine. I would think you could keep two broody mamas together, they might coparent their ducklings especially if they make their nests close to each other. I guess if it doesn’t work out you already raised the ducklings yourself and made it work so what have you got to lose by trying again?
Thank you for responding! I have a one week trip coming up and my ducks are molting, so they’re not laying but after the trip and they’re molt, I’m hoping to get them to go broody and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice 😁.

Back
Top Bottom