Advice needed--chicken survived coyote attack

MaiaA

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 17, 2009
I lost a hen three days ago and was reviewing security camera footage today because I suspected it was a neighbor's dog. Turns out it was a coyote . . .but it appeared to attack one chicken that got away . . .and then went back for another. I immediately went to check my flock which seems to have been acting normally.

What I found is a hen who is missing a bunch of her tail feathers (I found them at the scene of the crime) and is quite bruised and has a couple of gashes that appear to be healing, and none is bleeding that I can see).

My question is, what should I do for her? It has been 72 hours since the attack. I don't want to put her through anything else stressful if it is not going to help anyway. If she were going to get infected, do you think she would be sick by now? Will scrubbing her wounds do more harm or good now? She is eating and drinking normally, can jump, walk and run just fine. None of the others in the flock are pecking on her or treating her any differently (in the past when I have had an ill chicken with this flock they all excluded her).

Any advice would be appreciated. I want to do what she needs, but I also don't want to give the poor girl any more trauma than she has already suffered.

Keep checking for signs of infection and to make sure the others are not picking at her injuries. Make sure she's eating & drinking normally.
Other than that, make sure no flies are getting at her injury, then you'll have maggots (yuck!).

I had one that survived a dog attack and had a hole ripped in the back of her head. I put neosporin without pain releif on it to keep from getting it infected. For horses there is a product called swat ointment that is a fly repellent to be used on wounds. Since the gashes are already healing you could use that to keep flys away.

Back
Top Bottom