Advice needed for R.I.R x Light Sussex hen, watery poop with green bits, fleshy lump found in her be

Alfred's Mama

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 20, 2011
I just brought home a Rhode Island Red crossed with a light Sussex a few days ago, in the store she was being fed pellets and I was told she's a good layer, I brought her home and put her onto crumbs and regular grains and let her roam the grass in the garden, she's very big and healthy looking and loves scratching around the dirt and eating the grass but today when I went to clean out her bedding I noticed she's had alot of transparent poop, almost like egg white in consistency, any mass in there was fairly green too, greener than the thicker brown droppings I'm used to seeing from her, she's also been drinking alot, probably because she's losing so much water so I put her on electrolyte fluid to help her keep hydrated, what worries me the most though is the inch and a half sized pink flesh like lump I found in her bedding - I know it's normal to shed some intestinal lining but I've never even seen that before so I don't know if what I've found is normal. I will attatch some pictures very soon, I'd really appreciate any advice on this!

Here are the pics, are these things normal? I'm worrying so much right now like a new mother, Gladys is my first big chicken so apart from a silkie bantam this is new to me, I'm beside myself worrying
hmm.png

Last edited:
I learned about your problem from your post on my thread so I thought I'd offer what happened to me.

First, no that poo is not normal. Is she actually eating? Have you felt her crop to see if its getting full? Smelled her breath to make sure there's no sour crop or anything detectable? Have you felt her rear end to make sure she is not swollen in her abdomen? It would be on her underside near the vent - does it feel spongy or like there is fluid in there?

I had what I think was a black australorp (she was a rescue). I was a total newbie. She quit eating and started sitting a lot so I took her to the vet. They determined she was an internal layer. I kept finding these blobs of different colors in the bedding, usually yellowish rubbery blobs. Well to make a long story short - I had her put down. Tests on her and another chicken ran me $800. My DH didn't hear of it til months later I was afraid to tell him. Luckily I was working at the time!

It may be that she isn't eating enough because of the bloating. I also don't see any urates in her poo, but hard to see on a white background.

At the store they said she was a good layer - do you know how old she is supposed to be? What color are her legs do they have any hint of yellow to them? That, generally speaking, can be an indicator of age. Hope this helps somewhat anyway.

Thanks for taking the time to offer me some advice; she has a very slightly misaligned beak so I suspect the grains were a bit fiddly to get a hold of, I made a porridge from warm water and chick crumble which she seems to be ok with, after a few hours feeding from a bowl of chicky porridge her poop is fuller, thicker and looking more normal - she's only really had this problem today and could possibly have been overheated, hence the water guzzling and quick watery expulsions, I put the window on the latch to give her a better airflow and gave her electrolyte fluids for hydration, she seems to have relaxed a little more and has eased up on the water. There are some white urates in her poop though it's mixed over the green and some in the white, if her poop improves further tonight and is near normal by morning I'll still be vigilant but relieved, my main worry is the fleshy lump - I saw on this sitehttp://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0 that a fleshy poop can be a normal shedding of intestinal lining, and she is a big girl with huge poops so it makes sense that it would be bigger than with the smaller chickens, but her being my first big chicken I've never seen intestinal shedding first hand so I don't know wether or not to panic; her legs are very yellow, the lady at the store said she was around 8 months of age. her tummy feels a bit squishy but no more so than a bit tender, her crop isn't totally full but it's got a decent amount in there, and her poop volume + frequency is pretty regular, in fact she's a poop machine!

I just thought, Gladys was one of the store's 3 laying hens, that morning the lady there found 6 eggs, she showed them to me and they looked like very good-shelled eggs but there was no guarantee who had actually layed them, 6 eggs from 3 girls, I was wondering if it's possible that Gladys didn't lay, and that this problem with a tender lower tummy, thin poop and drinking more water could be due to a lay coming up? I really am a complete newbie on this, does that sound plausible?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom