Advice needed-heartbreak-mine and chicken's

Christina99

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 2, 2011
I have a bantam and a rooster.

The wonderful rooster is 6 and very ill so I am having to take him to the vet to be euthanised (altho I am trying to get them to do it at home)

My problem is the bantam,who is 2. How will she cope with being alone?

I do not want to get more chickens yet,as I had 2 die last year from peritonitis (they had hormone implants etc,but succumbed a year later) and I don't want to get more chickens if there is something causing them to die.

In fact I'd prefer not to have chickens anymore at all as they are so lovely and the heartbreak is too much.

But fact is I will have one chook left.
I cannot give her away not knowing how she will cope with being in a new flock.
But I don't want her to be miserable on her own.

I thought of getting a couple of old ex-battery chickens for her but the minimum you can get here is 4 and there is a waiting list.

They live inside in my porch since the big storm,as I want to keep an eye on them during the winter

I feel like I am going round in circles-don't want to be unwittingly responsible for more chicken deaths but don't want her to be lonely and miserable

Feel so sad and miserable about losing my rooster and the hen being on her own-please has anyone any advice or experience

I completly understand what your going through.i love my chickens like family and have a big heart and its so hurtful to loose them. Sadly this year I had a awful respitory virus go through my flock.i tried everything to save them. Different antibotics tube feeding but sadly I lost all but one. I cleaned
everything real well and through away most of what
they had contact with. Time went by and I decided to
get my remaining chicken some friends. well before I
could do that she came down with her second
bought of wry neck. Although I was treating her I lost
her too. I decided the joy they bring far out weighs the pain and I bought some new babies. I'm so glad I did because these little ones bring great joy to my life. Every day I say a little prayer for them. Their is nothing left from the old chickens that they can come in contact with and things were sanatised very thourghly. They are doing great thank God and I'm really glad I decided to rebuild my flock. I wanted to tell you my story in hopes you won't give up. I understand the pain of loosing them but its nothing you have done and I hope even if the worst does happen you continue with chickens. Their joy far out weighs the pain. hope this helps and I do wish the best for you. GOD BLESS!

Thank you Waterfowl

But over the past 6 years I have had 6 chickens and have lost 4 of them. 2 to chronic peritonitis,1 to cancer and one due to an accident.

I try my very best for them and they go to the avian vets at the very slightest symptom,and have every treatment possible,no matter what the cost, but that is a high death rate and that is why I am stuck,wondering if it is fair to bring new birds into such an unlucky environment.

I wish I had more of a down-to earth attitude to them because at the moment the heartbreak is far outstripping the enjoyment and it feels like it is my fault somehow,even though I don't know what else I could do.

I know I must deal with the sadness,but aside from that,do you still think,from your experience, it would be fair on them to get more chickens?

Thank you Waterfowl

But over the past 6 years I have had 6 chickens and have lost 4 of them. 2 to chronic peritonitis,1 to cancer and one due to an accident.

I try my very best for them and they go to the avian vets at the very slightest symptom,and have every treatment possible,no matter what the cost, but that is a high death rate and that is why I am stuck,wondering if it is fair to bring new birds into such an unlucky environment.

I wish I had more of a down-to earth attitude to them because at the moment the heartbreak is far outstripping the enjoyment and it feels like it is my fault somehow,even though I don't know what else I could do.

I know I must deal with the sadness,but aside from that,do you still think,from your experience, it would be fair on them to get more chickens?
My condolences,very heartbreaking when a beloved pet dies. What was wrong with your rooster? I would get some more chicken friends for your girl,what about chicks? If you purchase hens remember the quarantine rule.

None of this is your fault,and i do not see an unlucky environment. I see a loving caring person. It is unusual for two of your girls to have had peritonitis,but it does happen. Cancer can affect hens just like women,hens over the age of 4 have a 50% increase in developing ovarian cancer. The girl that died from an accident,was just that an accident.

So yes,get more friends for your girl. I understand how you must be feeling,i love and think of my girls/boys as so much more than chickens.

ten chicks-thank you for your kind words.

Good news is the vet visited this morning-I was thinking Robert had had a stroke and that he would say it was only kind to euthanase him.

But vet said he suspected some kind of poison and that the leg problem wasnt part of a stroke but arthritis and separate from the other symptoms.
Strange thing is, when the vet came,Robert,who'd been lying practically immobile in his haybox for 2 days suddenly perked up and marched out into the garden and started pecking the grass!

He's not a well bird yet,but I've taken him off the Metacam,which was upsetting his stomach and hoping time will clear any remaining toxins from his body.
I thought it was all over-never thought I'd be sitting here this evening with Robert basking in front of the fire

So fingers crossed.

I know though that one day I will lose him and will remember your kind words and advice when that day comes

Many Thanks from Christina

Christina,

I am so very happy for you that Robert is still with you... your thread was so heartrending and understandably you are reluctant to have any more chickens because of the emotional price we have to pay for our loving them whenever we lose one (or more ), having said that, YOU are one very special person and it would be a great loss to the chicken world if you ever gave up loving and having the pleasure ( and heartache ) of bringing them the life they deserve.

I too lost one of mine today and I am extremely sad ( as is one of her companions in the coop who will not settle tonight ) , she was not in the coop when it started to get dark, very unusual for her... I started my search and found her dead... she was tangled in barbed wire... I am trying to replace all wire with standard wire, she was unfortunate enough to become victim to my failings.. I shaln't beat myself up over this... my failure is my loss of one beautiful girl... it gives me the incentive to get the barbed wire out of all areas they roam in... 20 plus acres is a lot of terrain to work on.

Please, whenever you are feeling defeated or down in spirits, just remember all of of the good times... you are one wonderful person!

Regards

So sorry for all those losses. Waterfowl is right, ducks are much more resistant to diseases and not so prone as hens. That doesn't go to say that you shouldn't get more chickens, but you need time to recover from your loss, and maybe getting more hens is not the right choice at the moment.
All the best, Sandstorm.

You're right about ducks.

We have had 2 for the same time (6 years) as the chickens and not one single thing ever wrong with them

The drake is a bit of a sex fiend and every Spring falls in love with my foot (though he has his own mate) and I basically have to limp around the garden with a duck attached to my foot!!!

They are lovely (specially when you see them enjoying a freshly-cleaned pond) but there is something about chickens that really wins your heart

Back
Top Bottom