Advice needed if I don't use the DLM

You really just need enough shavings to start with, so that the floor is fully covered, even if the shavings shift around as the chickens move around. If you notice bare spots from the chickens kicking the shavings around at first, then you need to add more shavings, at least in that area. You don't want to be able to see the floor through the shavings or any bare patches.

If the coop starts to smell or areas look too poopy, either clean it or layer clean shavings over those areas, depending on how you choose to manage your coop.

I am a fanatic about a smelly coop. I have 5 big birds in an area 5 x 10 with access to an outside run daytime. I have a 4 foot board with a lip around it under the roost with a 2" layer of Sweet PDZ which I use as like a cat litter and scoop out poop every other day or so. They do poop alot at night. I could let it go longer since the Sweet PDZ absorbs moisture and oder but I'm a clean freak. The floor of the coop is play sand but I put about a 2 inch layer of fine pine shavings on it in winter so that they have a warm cushion on their feet. I rake it around when I clean the poop board and scoop up any big clumps with my cat scoop. My coop probably smells fresher than some houses. Makes me feel good.

Back
Top Bottom