ADVICE NEEDED!!! Newly hatched chicky looks unwell!!

jazzie123

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2021
Hello Everyone,

I had a baby chick hatch yesterday and it came out of the shell with these burn marks?? or peeled off cheeks?? I am attaching a picture, it is on both sides of chicky’s face. I feel so bad for this little chicky, mother hen is neglecting and pecking at it. What should I do? Is there any sort of cream I can put on its cheeks to make it better? Any advice is appreciated!

Attachments

• 55BC34F0-A71B-41F5-9B90-B5CB96595731.jpeg
    55BC34F0-A71B-41F5-9B90-B5CB96595731.jpeg
    445.1 KB · Views: 40
It didn't hatch that way, the hen did it or another chicken. I'd be removing the babies immediately.
The other chicks look heathy so should I only remove this one from the mom? And does this mean the ears are damaged? Is there any medicine or cream I can put on the chick?

Does it look any different than any of the other chicks? Sometimes when they look different the hen rejects them.
Chicks should be raised in groups of 3 for the best results, 2 at the very minimum.

Yes remove at least that one, that red will only draw further pecking.
Put a very thin layer of Neosporin on that one to soothe and speed healing but I stress very thin due to the location of the injury.
I'd also tint the Neosporin blue with a little food coloring if you put it in with a friend.
Or you could put both chicks under red light, you basically want to camouflage those spots.

Does it look any different than any of the other chicks? Sometimes when they look different the hen rejects them.
Chicks should be raised in groups of 3 for the best results, 2 at the very minimum.
All the chicks look different because we got the fertilized eggs from our neighbour (he had mixed chickens) she accepted 5 of the chicks but this one she didnt :(

Yes remove at least that one, that red will only draw further pecking.
Put a very thin layer of Neosporin on that one to soothe and speed healing but I stress very thin due to the location of the injury.
I'd also tint the Neosporin blue with a little food coloring if you put it in with a friend.
Okay thank you so much. We separated that chick and will put some neosporin on. I hope the chick gets better soon.

Back
Top Bottom