Advice needed on Bathing a Dirty Rooster.

Jonny Anvil

Songster
9 Years
May 25, 2010
Strathcona County, Alberta
Hey everyone,

My Rooster Paleface has an issue, well he has s few but those are not his fault.

The issue I have is he REALLY stinks and BAD. Other than that he is healthy and Happy.

I have him in Quarantine for the next while, but I can't stand to think that this poor fellow might not be appreciated by the Girls I will be pairing him up with. That and the smell is getting to me.
I pet him and my hands stink.

I am in no position to run out and get any sort of special soap or anything of the sorts... I have no intentions of Showing him so I am not worried about that.
I just want to wash the stink off the best I can so he doesn't turn our noses any more.

What are some common household soaps that I could consider to use to give him a bath today?......I know when Ducks or birds get caught in an oil spill they say that a mild dish soap helps to remove the oil.

Now I am not wanting to cause him any harm, but leaving him alone to stink is not an option at this point in time. Either he gets a cleaning or he goes, according to the Warden's in the household.

I heard once that Shampoo can be used, just a very very little bit.
I plan on towel drying him, and letting him fully dry before I put hum back outside in our Cold Canadian weather here in Alberta, otherwise a wet chicken is a dead chicken.

ANY help would be MUCH appreciated.

Cheers,

Jonny A

Last edited:
Johnny, mild dish soap and a tablespoon of vinagar in a 5 gallon bucket of warm water will do it. If he`s to big for a 5 gal bucket, adjust the soap and vinagar accordingly. Make sure he is absolutely dry before putting him outside. Also, rub comb, wattles and legs with Vaseline to prevent frostbite. Remember, God gave him oil for a purpose. Good luck, he ain`t gonna like it at first..............Pop

Quote:
His own poop and the poop of a few other birds... It's not like he was poorly taken care of, not by any means.
He came from a good home.

On top of things.... adding to it all.
My turkey poop bombed him last night.... poor fellow.

Last edited:
The most important thing is to take pictures so we can admire your technique.

I want video! You did such a nice job with the feeder videos
big_smile.png

Ooops I should had read this before hand, as I didn't even think to set up the Camera.

The fellow is still inside the house staying warm and dry. Outside today it's -27 deg Celsius
Mighty cold....

Next time I have to bath a chicken I will post a video.
lol.png

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom