M10lk

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2022
I recently hatched out two Sebastopol goslings one completely healthy normal boy and another girl who had some difficulties. She hatched very enthusiastically completely on her own but for some reason hatched with the yolk attached, after some reading I think it may have been due to humidity problems.. despite this she is very healthy and active at 12 days old and other than being on the small side is a normal gosling. The problem is is she still has a pea sized dry lump of the yolk sack left I have been unable to find any similar cases or advice on this and was wondering if anyone will know when it will drop off or go away? I read that some who had the same problem with chickens saw the yolk sack drop off after only 3 days and this has been significantly longer.. Any ideas or advice is appreciated!!

It's not unusual for it to take longer for a dry residual umbilical "bump" to fall off, especially on a gosling. If it looks healed, isn't bothering her, and she seems healthy, I wouldn't worry too much about it...and you'll likely find that, one day, it's gone. 🙂

It's not unusual for it to take longer for a dry residual umbilical "bump" to fall off, especially on a gosling. If it looks healed, isn't bothering her, and she seems healthy, I wouldn't worry too much about it...and you'll likely find that, one day, it's gone. 🙂
Thank you so much! Do you think I can allow her to swim? I usually would’ve started sooner but was unsure if it would risk affecting the process of the sack healing :confused:

Just me but if there is still evidence of the sac with a scab I'd wait you don't want it to get soft and fall off before it's ready. And risk of bacteria getting in.

Back
Top Bottom