Advice needed on integration plan options

I've got a flock of 13 pullets; all 22 weeks old. Three are laying, and the rest of the dual purpose birds are headed to the freezer on Wednesday. I also have a separate group of 5 (EE, SLW, GLW, Whiting true blue and whiting true green) that at least 3 are intended to be layers. They are 11 weeks old. They've been kept separate but within sight of the older flock. I want to bring them together, as I want 8 birds to be in the same coop through the winter. My integration plans:

Plan 1: (my plan unless you all advise against) After harvesting the 10 birds, wait until that night and put the other 5 pullets into the coop while the remaining 3 are roosting. My thought is that the hierarchy of the flock will be thrown off by the culling, and there may be more acceptance of the new pullets.

Plan 2: Allow the remaining 3 pullets to spend the night in their coop, and when I let them out to range (within an acre thats netted off) - and let the 5 new, younger pullets range together, and allow the birds to go wherever they want (either coop) for a few days, before removing the grow out coop the after a few days.

Plan 3: The same as plan 2, but remove the grow out coop immediately, forcing the 5 younger pullets to find a place to roost and hopefully they'll follow the older birds to the big coop.

Plan 4: After culling the 10 older birds, leave the remains 3 older pullets in the enclosed run to roost overnight for a few days, and enclose the 5 younger pullets to spend several days alone in the big coop. After a few days, open the pop door to let them mingle.

I know there's never agreement for all - but would love your thoughts and experience to guide me.
Thanks
Honestly, with an acre for 8 birds, all of the above should be fine. I'd try the option of putting them in the same coop the first night, just make sure that door is open well before sunlight. It seems to me that even arch enemies are fine roosting together, squabbles over spots, but not the "leave or I'll kill ya" stuff in the day time.

Yes....

....and Yes.

Agreed. Let them have time outside the coop together first to be able to get to know each other before you put the newbies in the coop with the bigs. There's a lot to sort out in the pecking order when you add to your flock and outside the coop is the best place to let that begin.

In my experience the flocks will remain somewhat separate for a bit and as newbies come into lay that will change. So will the pecking order. I've let my newbies keep their mini coop for up to a month after beginning integration. They decided which coop to roost in. After that I felt it was more habit than fear that kept them going back and moved them myself.

Good luck!

Somehow in the midst of processing yesterday, I missed a few recommendations.
Missing some advice, I snuck the 5 new birds into the coop last night. I also left the pop door open so the new pullets could escape into the run if needed.
Everything seemed to be going fine until I came out to swap clean water and food. Everything was calm until I got there.

Then, the 1 of older pullets started attacking the smallest of the new 5 pullets. Even though she had plenty of areas to hide, she just flattened out against the ground and let the bigger bird peck her.
She opened a small cut on the back of her head. So- I've treated the wound and moved her to the "hospital coop" where she'll stay until the wound is gone.

Any idea why they attacked just the one, and the bird just sat and took it?

Suggestions on how to reintroduce her in a few days?

Thx

She opened a small cut on the back of her head. So- I've treated the wound and moved her to the "hospital coop" where she'll stay until the wound is gone.

Any idea why they attacked just the one, and the bird just sat and took it?

Suggestions on how to reintroduce her in a few days?
Not a good idea to segregate a single bird.
Put all the youngers back together and start over. ;)

Why?... she was just the closest...or didn't run away as fast as the others??

Not a good idea to segregate a single bird.
Put all the youngers back together and start over. ;)

Why?... she was just the closest...or didn't run away as fast as the others??

I am chuffed to realise that was my solution. But the question will it’s change in a few days or will this bird will get picked on again? I think because I’ve seen advice to try again in a few days of an a chick gets injured.what changes?

You're the bringer of food, provider of resources. When resources are involved you're going to see the most aggression. The established flock doesn't want these interlopers to take their food and food and water.

Having multiple feed and water stations, out of sight of each other if possible, has been helpful for me.

I think @igorsMistress is right - everything seemed to be going fine until I came out with food and fresh water. The attack came while I was in the run with them - so it seems I triggered it, even though they had access to additional feeders and hiding space.
@ScottyGill - I think it wasn't the roosting issue - it was me showing up.
On @aart suggestion I'm moving them all back to the grow out coop and will try shared ranging over the weekend. I'll give everyone a day or two to calm down. What are the chances that the young ones will follow the older one's back to the big coop... Wishful thinking?

I think @igorsMistress is right - everything seemed to be going fine until I came out with food and fresh water. The attack came while I was in the run with them - so it seems I triggered it, even though they had access to additional feeders and hiding space.
On @aart suggestion I'm moving them all back to the grow out coop and will try shared ranging over the weekend. I'll give everyone a day or two to calm down. What are the chances that the young ones will follow the older one's back to the big coop... Wishful thinking?
I share your wishful thinking when it comes to mine. I hope all goes well in a couple of days for you. I feel nervous for my wee babies

I share your wishful thinking when it comes to mine. I hope all goes well in a couple of days for you. I feel nervous for my wee babies

Back
Top Bottom