Advice Needed on Introducing Chicks to Existing Flock

ksrchicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 14, 2011
Hello Experienced BYC Members,

I am raising my second set of chicks to add to my small flock. I have 3 friendly hens a PR, BR, and Bantam BR that are about to turn 3 and have been together since they were a day old. I have a coop and run designed to house at least 12 chickens so plenty of space. I have just moved my 3 new Blue Ameraucanas into the run in a separate little coop/hutch as they were too big for their brooder. My ladies seem shocked to learn they are not the only chickens in the world! My Ameraucanas are 10 weeks old and I am pretty sure I have 2 pullets and a cockerel. My question is, when is it safe to let the Ameraucanas out of their small coop/hutch to live w/ my older hens? And how do others manage the fact that the Ameraucanas are still on chick starter and then hens eat a layer pellet?

Thank you all for your help!!

As for feeding, put them all on a grower or finisher feed (between 15 and 18% protein and approx. 1% calcium).
Provide oyster shell in a separate container for those actively laying.

You'll have to play the introduction by ear. The hens are friendly to you but will see the chicks as a threat to the well being of the flock and they may abuse them for a while. Add feed and water stations so the hens can't starve them.
Also, various obstacles in the pen the chicks can run behind will help.
It's usually best to put the young birds on the roost at night and closely observe behavior in the morning.

Thanks so much for your advice. Headed to the feed store. Two additional questions: Is it okay if the oyster shell gets eaten by the younger pullets/cockerel? And do you think they are old enough to try introducing now at 10 weeks old?

The birds that don't need it won't eat it or very little.
It's best to introduce like numbers and like sizes.
Another thing you can do is put the young ones in the coop and introduce a single mature hen a day at a time.

Thanks again for your help! Hopefully it will go smoothly :). I just picked up the Blue Seal Grower Crumbles.

I currently have the younger ones in a cage inside the large run. How long do you wait to let them out of the cage? Many thanks!

And it solved mine! I have 4 nine week old birds (3BR, 1 BO) and wanted to add 2 more to fill out my max allowance of 6. Hubby thinks I'm nuts. I am trying to do this while they are younger. I do have a dog cage that I can tuck into the run when the time comes, but I didn't want to get involved in building a separate "grow out" area at this time. Just finished 2 months of coop/run building! My biggest concern was the feed. The current hens are on developer. Timing it out, both groups would be on it together for a short while, but I know I would have to switch the older to layer feed and was concerned with the younger ones eating that. Am I correct in reading that I can leave both on the developer or finisher until the younger ones catch up?? They won't eat the oyster shells?? Wow! Also, I could put the younger ones out, protected in the run, then back into the house for a week or so, but how do you introduce them to sleeping in the coop with the others?? Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom