Advice Needed on Introducing New Duck(s)

ElizabethinNY

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Central NY
Good morning.

I've had a duck tragedy--on Sunday my Mallard, Millie, was killed by a hawk while I was home and only a few feet away inside the house. I have one other Mallard, Daisy, and she's just lost without her big sister. Millie was the leader, very confident and funny. I have also 11 chickens and they share a run and two coops between them all. They are now NEVER going outside that run unless I'm out there in the yard with them, as I was just devastated to lose my little Millie duck.

Daisy has been spending her days either sitting in the corner of the run, looking out, pacing the edges of the run, or sitting in her kiddie pool, doing not much of anything unless I come out and sit with her and then she acts like a normal duck. The chickens are taking advantage of the fact that her protector is gone, and every time she walks by them, they peck at her. Daisy is a tiny little duck and never got any bigger than about 2-3 pounds. The chickens are Red crosses and Orpingtons (all big). Daisy is about a year old and has just started laying (in fact, her first egg was on Sunday, when Millie was killed).

I have an offer of a few Call ducks which are about 6 weeks old, or I could have a few that are 2 weeks old. I would like opinions as to whether I should take one or two, when and how to introduce them to the rest of the flock, or whether it would be better to try to find Daisy another home with an existing duck flock. If I take these young Call ducks and raise them separately from the chickens till they're big enough to be introduced, should I bring Daisy to them and let them all live together until they're reintroduced to the flock? Or should I keep looking for an adult duck or two to keep Daisy company? And if I get an adult, I'm assuming that I would need to quarantine for a while before it's safe to bring everyone together?

Thanks, everyone. This forum is a valuable resource!
Elizabeth

Since Daisy has already lost her friend- it may be less stressful for her to remain where she is than be rehomed with a flock. She is obviously well used to her surrounds and may quickly accept some new company.

If going for the younger calls I would sugest taking two so they have company as they grow -
And yes you may need to have a separate area for another adult for a few days at least until they get to know each other. Males are more likey to cause problems- especially when there are female around- but its still wise to err on the side of caution with females as well.

I raise mallards and if you want to introduce a new one, take it slow and easy. Mallards are territorial and don't cotton to newcomers. However, if there is only one....... you may be able to get another mallard to keep her company.

I have an adopted mallard that I am introducing now. It has been 4 months, but the other three are starting to tolerate him.
If they go out to the pen and pool, the three amigos (one drake and two hens) will chase him away from the pool.

I keep him in a separate cage within viewing distance of the other duck's pen. He is a lot younger than they are also, which is another thing to be aware of. Good luck, and sorry for your loss.

I have a lonely duck that I didnt want to put in with my swedes she is a khaki and she now live in with my cochins and has bonded to one of the hens.... ducks are easier to bond together with something than chickens....she also has ducks next door.

Thanks to you all for your advice. None of my hens seem to like Daisy. They're all being pretty mean to her. She quacks and leaps into her pool so they'll leave her alone. She's basically spent all day in her pool or in the corner next to it. I put a little low flowerbed fence around her pool area, so she can get in and out easily but it makes it harder for the chickens to get to her.

I'm hoping I can find another Mallard or pair of Mallards. The lady with the Call ducks hasn't returned my call yet. If I meet them and they seem suitable, I might bring a pair home and see what Daisy thinks.

OK, I have two new little friends for my Daisy! They are in the house at the moment awaiting the end of a quarantine period and also awaiting gradual introduction to Daisy, but they sure are cute! And they're very friendly. Hopefully Miss Daisy Duck will like them.
smile.png
The chickens are actually being slightly nicer to Daisy, too, so things are looking up. I decided not to put Daisy in the chicken coop at night, as was the usual thing we did, because they were picking on her in the AM before I let them out. Instead, she's locked up alone in the duck coop, but she doesn't seem to mind and actually put herself to bed yesterday in the duck coop. I am not sure what gender these wee ones are yet, but if they're girls their names are Gwen (yellow) and Hattie (penciled). They are mixed breed Calls and were hand-raised and appear to be addicted to lettuce!
smile.png

babycallducks.jpg

Back
Top Bottom