Advice Needed On Mother Hen!

Mourningdove

Songster
11 Years
Dec 17, 2008
Cleveland, Tn.
My game hen hatched off babies 6 weeks ago today and I am wondering when it will be ok to remove her from the babies and put her back in with her hubby? Hubby's other wife just went to setting Wednesday and I think he could be lonely without both his ladies.
Is 6 weeks still too young to be away from their real good mommy?
Advice please as this is my 1st experience with a broody! They are in a chicken tractor now, and my other broody will need it in almost 3 weeks. Should I wait? At what age will the chicks be before mommy will tell them they are on their own? She went back to laying alittle over a week ago if that matters.

You could try seperating them and see if either party gets upset. If it were me, I'd probably toss babies and all back with hubby. I usually put mama and babies back with the main flock immediately after hatching. As she raises them, they get integrated in the flock and when she weans them, they already have a place in the flock.

thanks for your reply! I have wondered about this because my sil has told me that since these are game birds that the rooster will kill off all the young roosters even though he is the poppa, is there any truth to this? I wouldn't want to send the young roosters in to die
hu.gif

Well, I've never had broody game birds, but the mama will protect them from all comers when they're young. Generally, the young cockrels aren't considered a threat until they get close to sexual maturity. Well, one way to test to see if she's ready to wean is to put them all together and if the roo bugs the babies see if she protects the babies: if she does, she's not ready to wean - if she doesn't, she's already weaned them and you just didn't notice.

Back
Top Bottom