advice needed on raising orphan kitten

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by NewChickenMom, Jun 19, 2008.

1. NewChickenMom

NewChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    well, i tried to leave it out for mom, but she hadn't touched it in 24 hours. she took the other kitten and i think something must've happened to her, because she never came back for this one. it's very small, eyes still closed and dry umbilicus still attached. i've been feeding it esbilac every 2 hours and it only eats 3-4 cc's. she got a heating pad and nice little nest.

i guess i'm just looking for advice. i've hand raised 3week old kittens before, but nothing this small. is there any hope?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Yes, there's hope...I've raised many over the years. You'll need to wipe his little behind with a warm wet rag to get him to potty after you feed him. At this age they need that stimulation to be able to go.

3. PennyinOK

PennyinOK Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2008
    Se Oklahoma
    As long as you feed it every two hours as much as it will take there is hope and wipe its bottom with a wet paper towel or cotton ball, it helps it to use the bathroom. Good luck!!!!!!

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I think the biggest concern is to be careful not to let it aspirate the milk while feeding it.

Sounds like you are doing a great job ... can we see pictures?

5. NewChickenMom

NewChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

he's doing good, eating a lot more now! i just fed him 12cc. the only problem is i can't get him to poo. he pees like a champ, but no poo yet. any ideas?

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Looks to be around 6-10 days old. Very cute!

You have to take a warm washcloth or papertowle and rub its bottom to get it to poop and pee.

7. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    You have some great advice here. However, I would definitely get some KMR instead of the Esbilac since you are feeding a kitten and not a puppy. You will also want to try to feed the baby while it is on its tummy on not on its back. I have a 6 year old bottle baby that has had a very healthy and pampered life. Good luck with yours.

8. SundownWaterfowl

DONT feed the kitten on its back. That isnt good. Feed it in the position that it would nurse from its mother. and use KMR.

9. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Sounds like you're doing good and getting good advice. I too would recommend KMR. I have three little ones I'm handraising and they are doing real good on it. And as others have pointed out wipe their behinds in a circular motion.

Here is a receipe for formula incase you get into a bind and run short. It was given to me by Katy.
    2 cups whole milk
    1 teaspoon light corn syrup
    pinch of salt
    1 egg yolk

If they get runny stools use a little less corn syrup.

10. SundownWaterfowl

I forgot to add: After you are done feeding the kitten, hold it on its stomach up to your chest, and burp the kitten, just like you would a baby. Use very small pats, like with your 2 fingers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by