Advice needed, oth ducks have wet feather at the same time and we can't find a reason!

Snostorm

Chirping
Aug 19, 2021
Hi all.

So bit of backstory, we have 2 ladies and 1 male miniature appleyard ducks, one of the girls prolapsed earlier this year with her first egg, we brought her inside and treated that, then during the stress of all that she overpreened and got wet feather. We've kept her inside until her annual moult which should fix the feathers.

The other two have been fine during this whole time, we've not got another female as our one inside should go back.

Recently the other female and male outside have both developed wet feather inexplicably.

They have a kiddie pool of water with fresh water every day, we've sometimes filled it every other day when they can free range in the big pond and the kiddie pool doesn't get used. They have a mix of adult and layer pellets. Get treats in mealworms peas and sweetcorn every so often, and sweet gem lettuce aswell. We've checked them for mites/lice and found nothing, their oil glands are not infected. They get fresh bedding inside the enclosure with dengue bedding and wood chips underneath so they don't get muddy, remove their poops twice a day. We can find no reason as to why they have both gotten wet feather.

The only change has been that bird flu restrictions lifted recently and they've been able to go back out. We've also let our indoor girl come out with then in their enclosure to slowly start reintroduction. We don't know if that could have caused stress? The male got very animated when he saw he in an aggressive way not mating way. The male has also started to lose his green feathers, around his eye they have started to become white like the females.

Could this be related to their annual moult? I was expecting it in a few month not now.

Any help would be appreciated as we're baffled, we've removed their pond and given them a bucket to dunk their heads in in the mean time.

I'm so sorry for your problems.
My first advice would be to check for worms. Especially if more than one duck presents him/herself with wet feather.
Is the vet an option? They might have better resources to determine if there is a parasite in their feces than you have.

Hopefully they are soon their beautiful self!

I'm so sorry for your problems.
My first advice would be to check for worms. Especially if more than one duck presents him/herself with wet feather.
Is the vet an option? They might have better resources to determine if there is a parasite in their feces than you have.

Hopefully they are soon their beautiful self!
We give them worming pellets every month, I've had a look through their droppings but can't see anything.

Our closest avian vet is 3 hours away, avian vets are really hard to find in the UK, our closest vet just said they would euthanize our girl who prolapsed and she's been super happy since we treated her ourselves. If they don't get any better we'll give the avian vet a call :)

We give them worming pellets every month, I've had a look through their droppings but can't see anything.

Our closest avian vet is 3 hours away, avian vets are really hard to find in the UK, our closest vet just said they would euthanize our girl who prolapsed and she's been super happy since we treated her ourselves. If they don't get any better we'll give the avian vet a call :)
I know the problem. same attitude over here...

I know the problem. same attitude over here...
Yeah it was very frustrating.

Checked them again, still no improvement over yesterday and can't see any symptoms or signs of worms, I'll keep checking them for that though. Still just baffled as to what could have caused it.

No idea what’s causing it
But when my girl had wet feather I bather her in the sink using dawn dish soap then rinsed her really good
Gave her a blow dry so she didn’t get cold then kept her away from swimming for 24 hours
It fixed the issue and She has been great since
This was back in December

No idea what’s causing it
But when my girl had wet feather I bather her in the sink using dawn dish soap then rinsed her really good
Gave her a blow dry so she didn’t get cold then kept her away from swimming for 24 hours
It fixed the issue and She has been great since
This was back in December
Yeah I think if we don't see improvement over the next few days we'll give that a go. They don't enjoy being picked up so it'll be fun for everyone I'm sure lol

What % protein is your feed? Have they molted or started to this spring at all?
Not too sure as I'm out of the house atm, it's waterfowl layer pellets mixed with adult pellets. They do get mealworms and peas as a treat to top up protein. They did their mini molt after winter. Our male has a few of his green feathers starting to turn white but that's it so far

Not too sure as I'm out of the house atm, it's waterfowl layer pellets mixed with adult pellets. They do get mealworms and peas as a treat to top up protein. They did their mini molt after winter. Our male has a few of his green feathers starting to turn white but that's it so far
Since you have ruled out mites, lice, parasites and they have access to water. I would guess either aging or a diet that is a little low on protein. Methionine in particular plays a very critical role in feather development. I actually started before every molting season mixing in a higher protein feed after I had a duck have issues with wet feather despite access to water and a clean bill of health otherwise. Since doing the protein rotation she molted in beautiful glossy feathers and has not had an issue since.

Back
Top Bottom