Do my ducks have wet feather?

spope

In the Brooder
Nov 29, 2023
I have noticed recently that both my male and female duck have been looking and getting really wet after bath time. Since it’s been cold, we limit outdoor baths, but it’s getting a little nicer (40 degrees) so I let them swim outside. We usually allow them in our bath tub every 1-2 days. We also have big bowls of water that I notice they like to dip their head in and preen.

I see them preen often, I see the oil when they oil themselves. They are currently “drying themselves off”. They end up looking really fluffy and cute after cleaning up after the pool/bath time. I just want to make sure I’m not missing something or if this is normal. I took them inside after they got out of the water just in case idk if they can get sick from being wet and in the cold?? Thanks in advance. Pictures provided. Pekin in the male (Twinkie) and the Pekin mix is the female (Twixie) 🤍

They were also diving and going crazy under the water too…..

Attachments

• IMG_3244.jpeg
    IMG_3244.jpeg
    598.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3246.jpeg
    IMG_3246.jpeg
    528.1 KB · Views: 15
They are adorable :love How old are they and when did they molt last? or have they?
Usually when mine are getting close to molting their feathers don't seem quite as water proof but molt takes care of it. Some extra protein in the form of dried mealworms, dog or cat kibble good quality can help.[Treats not reg food]

They are adorable :love How old are they and when did they molt last? or have they?
Usually when mine are getting close to molting their feathers don't seem quite as water proof but molt takes care of it. Some extra protein in the form of dried mealworms, dog or cat kibble good quality can help.[Treats not reg food]
They are literally my life. I love them so much. I notice every little thing with them. I just worry. Like they are my kids. They bring me so much joy. They are coming up on 6 months. I believe they molted in the fall. Their feathers were doing really good til it got colder. I just don’t want them sick. So we think they are ok? Haha

They are literally my life. I love them so much. I notice every little thing with them. I just worry. Like they are my kids. They bring me so much joy. They are coming up on 6 months. I believe they molted in the fall. Their feathers were doing really good til it got colder. I just don’t want them sick. So we think they are ok? Haha
Sure look good to me.

It's in the mid 30's here and my ducks have been having a blast in the pool.

Wondering if my ducks may be getting ready for a late winter molt. I might be imagining it but sometimes their feathers don’t look perfectly dry so wet feather fears set in. Then again it’s cold in the mornings and maybe it’s just a little ice. They do enjoy the pool and buckets and I see them preen. They also all started laying the last few weeks and despite being all female they get amorous with one another causing mild damage. A duck expert recommended separating one from the rest for a couple of weeks during the day until they calm down some but you can see the spots above her wing joints from lady surfing. 🫣 Just wondering if they look ok to the more veteran duck owner eyes here.

Attachments

• IMG_6284.jpeg
    IMG_6284.jpeg
    704.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6288.jpeg
    IMG_6288.jpeg
    636.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6290.jpeg
    IMG_6290.jpeg
    771.5 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom