Advice needed re: introducing new chickens please!

PopsAndHen

In the Brooder
Jan 7, 2021
Hi everyone,

I recently lost one of my lovely legbar hens, which has unfortunately left my remaining hen all alone. I'm looking into getting a few more hens to keep her company, however I have never introduced new birds before and would love some advice.

Are there certain breeds that don't get on well together? I'm looking at adopting a silkie/Araucuna Cross and a Pekin Bantam.

I've read conflicting advice online regarding quarantine length and the best way to introduce new birds to one another. I'd really love to hear your experiences with this!

I've also noticed that many chickens don't come with much medical history regarding vaccinations/worming etc. As my legbar is due to be wormed in the next few weeks I thought I would worm any new additions at the same time. I was also wondering if it's wise to vaccinate new members of the flock against things such as Mareks disease as soon as they arrive? Or are these vaccinations ineffective in older birds?

Any tips and advice welcome!

Everyone does integration a little different.
Do you know the people the hens are coming from? From family or close friends that you trust? If not, you may lean toward isolating the new members to make sure they aren't bringing anything into your flock: mites, lice, respiratory issues, etc.
As for vaccinating for mareks, I am not an expert in this, I thought you can't buy mareks vaccines for a small number of chickens... but I could be wrong.

Hi everyone,

I recently lost one of my lovely legbar hens, which has unfortunately left my remaining hen all alone. I'm looking into getting a few more hens to keep her company, however I have never introduced new birds before and would love some advice.

Are there certain breeds that don't get on well together? I'm looking at adopting a silkie/Araucuna Cross and a Pekin Bantam.

I've read conflicting advice online regarding quarantine length and the best way to introduce new birds to one another. I'd really love to hear your experiences with this!

I've also noticed that many chickens don't come with much medical history regarding vaccinations/worming etc. As my legbar is due to be wormed in the next few weeks I thought I would worm any new additions at the same time. I was also wondering if it's wise to vaccinate new members of the flock against things such as Mareks disease as soon as they arrive? Or are these vaccinations ineffective in older birds?

Any tips and advice welcome!
I’ll be honest, when I introduce hens to my flock it’s immediately after they get home. Usually there’s a little bit of pecking and establishing the pecking order, but after that they all get along fine! Just got 4 new girls a couple of days ago and they’re doing fine with my original flock.

It depends more on the size of the birds, than the breed of the birds. Similar sizes are best.

Very few people in truly backyard situations can quarantine. If you don't do quarantine correctly - you may as well not do it all. Separation is not enough. Do not EVER get birds you feel sorry for, very dangerous to add. Do not get birds from auctions or swaps without a serious quarantine, there is no way to know what they have been exposed to.

If you are getting birds from someone like you, birds that look healthy and active, chances are they are healthy. However, there is a real risk. Some people will not add birds because of the risk.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom