Advice needed to save duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Stuck in the Coop, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Stuck in the Coop

Stuck in the Coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    North Central, MO
    I have a week old duckling that I am unsure will survive. When hatched there was a significant amount of blood and yolk in the shell (the most I've ever seen on any bird). It spent 2 days in the incubator before I felt it was going to live. At that time it still could not walk well, it appeared to not be able to control it's left leg and the left eye didn't look right, almost like it is not developed correctly - smaller than the other side.

It can now walk fine, the eye still looks off. It cries a lot. I have watched it eat, which seems to be a struggle for it and it does not drink water as often as the other duckling while it eats. I have hand fed it several times and offered boiled egg yesterday and today.

The hatch-mate duckling is 2 days older and over 4 times bigger. This little one just isn't thriving and growing. I hate to think it is suffering, but am not ready to give up if anyone has some advice.

Oh, you might want to know what I'm feeding - it is un-medicated chick starter and yesterday I started giving them finely chopped green grass.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Try a vitamin mix like Nutri Drench, or a vitamin/electrolyte/probiotic . . . there are a number of them available. There is also gro-gel.

Special needs ducks sometimes make it, sometimes catch up a little bit. We had a tiny little runner we didn't let ourselves hope too much would make it. She was always a couple of weeks behind, on her own little trajectory. Today, Elfie is a fine, strapping runner duck, able to keep up with any in the flock.

Yours sounds like it has many more challenges. But a safe warm environment, with extra TLC will at the very least make its life a good one.

3. newfoundland

newfoundland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Entirely agree with Amiga, and feeding egg is a very good idea. You might be able to get more liquids down the little duck if you moisten the crumb feed. Don't worry too much about the eye. I have one duck who has one eye noticeably smaller than the other. She is full grown now, holds her own with the other ducks and is a good layer. Good luck to you.

4. clbarley

clbarley Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Clatskanie, Oregon
    any update on the duckling?

5. Stuck in the Coop

Jun 21, 2011
    North Central, MO
    Thank you for all the advice. I feel I did everything possible for the little guy. Today I could tell he was weakening and it died this evening while I was gone.

Now, I need to find a mate for the one we have. Hoping to find a week old one on Craigslist as the healthy duck is so dang big already.

6. Goin Quackrrs

Goin Quackrrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2012
    Western Washington
    I'm sorry your duckling didn't make it! [​IMG]

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Oh, dear, that is sad. You are right to look for a friend for your duckling.

[​IMG]

8. Stuck in the Coop

Jun 21, 2011
    North Central, MO
    Thanks everyone. I sure hated to lose that little fuzz ball.

Our farm supply store happen to have ducklings today. I let my DD pick out what she wanted...we ended up with 3 more LOL a Khaki Campbell, a White Crested and a Cayuga. The week old Magpie took right to them and is so happy to have friends.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by