Advice needed!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Beth77, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Beth77

Beth77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2015
    Scotland
    Hi there, my Orpington is currently sitting on five fertile eggs and has been for 17 days. I've recently separated an area in the coop for her. (She hasn't been moved from her original nest at any point.)Today for the second time I lifted her out so she could get food and water, as I do twice daily, (she usually stays out for 10 minutes at a time) and forgot to open the back door of the coop so she could access her area I made for her. Instead she went in the front door and sat on an empty nest. When I went out to the coop to check on her after nearly an hour I realised what had happened and felt the eggs, they were not cold but definitely not as warm as they should've been. I immediately lifted her off the empty nest and let her in the back door and she went straight to her eggs.

Will the eggs still hatch? Can they survive that amount of time with no heat? Any opinions or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If the eggs were viable to start with, they will hatch. Get ready for your chicks. [​IMG]

3. Beth77

Aug 10, 2015
    Scotland
    Excellent! Thank you very much, I thought for sure they couldn't survive!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Developing eggs are a lot tougher than many think especially that far along in incubation.

5. KoopOnTruckin

KoopOnTruckin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2016
    East Orlando, FL
    Good luck with your hatchlings! Post pics when they're hatched please!!

6. Beth77

Aug 10, 2015
    Scotland
    I see :)

7. Beth77

Aug 10, 2015
    Scotland
    I certainly will, it's my first time hatching so fingers crossed everything goes to ok!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by