Advice Needed.

Hi,

Please don't use a pronged collar. The dog will just fight you. When you use a choke collar, give the lead one quick snap. If used properly, you'll hear it pop. Don't leave it on the dog whenever the dog is unattended because if the collar gets hooked onto something, your dog will not be able to free herself. Very, very bad consequence.

Suzy

frow.gif

You can PM me if you have any questions. I'll hold your hand and help you out to the best of my ability.

Suzy

Sounds to me like she needs to be put in her place, right now she is running the place and knows it. Boxers can get out of control if they are allowed the privilage:>) LOL!
I have raised three now, and the best thing I ever did for our last one was buy an electric fence. (the wireless kind) You know that dog was in COMPLETE control all the way around in three days. Why? Because something finally did her in and she couldn't figure it or WHO dunnit!
She suddenly became a very good dog who came when called and listened and was above all, SUBMISSIVE! Yes, that is the major point...she became submissive to authority from the very first good zap. We started with the fence on high power, and turned it down after we figured out that she would occassionally make a "good dog, forgot the line" kind of mistake and be punished way to harshly for it. I would really suggest trying it, we ended up with a wonderful dog that I was also at my wits ends with

Quote:
On invisible fences:

My sister did this with her two labs. One got close to the line on day one, got zapped, and never went anywhere near the edge of the yard again.

The other one walked right through. She turned up the fence and the dog walked through again!

So my sister turned the juice all the way up, and when the dog got close to the fence, all her fur stood on end, and...

she walked right through it again!

So much for the Invisible Fence!

Good luck with you boxer - it sounds like you've gotten a start on retraining her. Good for you!

Again, thank you for all the suggestions and tips. Kees, when I have time to really sit down & do it, I will PM you. This dog is not popular in my house, but I love her dearly. I can't just let her go without a fight.

Thank you all.

morelcabin, my other two dogs would be stopped by invisible fencing, but they are not the problem. My boxer, when she is in her "mode" I do not think that she will respond to the invisible fence. We also thought a shock collar might help, but I don't think it would be much use with her. She is just one of those dogs...

Last edited:
Quote:
I have to say i disagree with this. We never ever use choke collars on dogs. The reason being most dogs do not respect them at all. We only use prong(pinch) collars. Give the command they don't do it, one pop and release and most dogs immediately do it. Chokes on thick necks won't do anything also they must be placed correctly on the neck.

Chokes work by choking the dog. Prongs apply pressure like a dog bite to the neck.

You will always see people being dragged down the road using chokes, dogs don't care.

You won't with prongs. There is a common misconception that prongs are cruel. They are not. They should sit on the middle of the neck fitting like a nylon collar. The dogs misbehaves pop and release.
That is it. You do not yank on the neck. You do not allow the dog to lean or pull on it. They start to pull, you pop and release. It causes the skin on the neck to pull up. This causes the mindset of the dog to pause allowing you to correct with a command. They do not hurt the dog. They may yelp the first time from shock not pain. This is how another dog would correct them. One quick bite to the neck and they done. You can also buy plastic tips for them.

Chokes can do severe damage to the throat and windpipe. They must be placed right under the chin behind the ears. This is the weakest part of the neck. If they are farther down they neck they are useless. When you use a choke you are choking your dog!

I do agree to never ever ever leave a choke on a dog when not working on a leash. They will hang themselves.

Always feed yourself then the other dogs then her. Alpha eats first. Make her sit or lay down before giving her food. If she doesn't no food. She must wait for you to set the food down and walk away before eating. She goes for the food before you are away take it away. Who ever controls the food is the alpha dog.

Find a good comfy muzzle and take a class. You can email me or pm if you like.

Back
Top Bottom