Advice needed

Farmerpat

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 18, 2012
Hi everyone,

I am new to BYC and was referred here by my chicken-loving older sister, who thinks there may be someone out there who can give me some advice. I have had 6 chickens (4 Barred Rocks and 2 Americaunas) since April. They had been happy and healthy up to this point, but I noticed that my largest Americauna the other day had what looked like something sticking out of her vent. She was acting a bit "off" too. I continued to observe her when I noticed one of the Barred Rocks peck her in the butt twice as she made a feeble attempt to get away. I have had her in the house since. Her appetite is not great. She is somewhat listless, but does make noises occasionally and walk around her pen. She has allowed me to wash her butt with a warm water spray from the kitchen sink and mild soap. It doesn't seem to be helping however. Her backside is not improving. She also has a lot of feathers missing in her rear.
I am attaching a picture I took with one hand today while I was holding her with the other after giving her a "sitz bath" in the sink. I've given her yogurt and hard boiled eggs. She takes a bit of those, but not with the usual gusto. I searched online and read that I should worry about an egg stuck up there. I gently probed her vent after the soaking today but did not feel anything although I did not go too far. I spoke with my animal science pre-vet daughter earlier and she had me worried that what she had might be zoonotic...she thought I should get some "bird biotic" (doxycycline).
I would really appreciate any advice you could give. Thank you!

Thank you so much dawg53! I don't see her as thirsty really nor do I know yet how to assess a crop (my sister's coming for Thanksgiving and I'm sure will show me...) however I am going to add some cider vinegar to the water right now. It certainly can't hurt.

I would also get some Nustock and put it all around and a little inside the vent. Does a good job on clearing up greet. Best of luck.

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Best of luck with your hen!

Thank you all for your kind wishes! I am ordering some Nustock right now!

Last edited:
Thank you all for your kind wishes! I am ordering some Nustock right now!
you maybe able to find it at your feed store i did, I adopted a lil cochin hen in May with a horrible case of vent gleet did everything thing that i could find on her and nothing cleared it up till i started using the Nustock on her, she has grown all her feathers back on her bottom and is all clear now. Hoping for complete recovery for your hen. and
welcome-byc.gif

Hi Farmerpat! Welcome. I'm in the vet field myself and you don't have to worry about zoonotic diseases as long as you're practicing good hygiene. Wash your hands really well afterwards or better yet wear gloves. Be sure to wash the sink area well after you bathe her. The concern would be
getting whatever she's got going on back there in your mouth. Keep us posted. I'm curious as to what's wrong with her.

Best of luck for your daughter with getting into vet school! Maybe our paths will cross one day:)

You might want to look for some Poultry vitamins to help boost her immune system right now. Poultry Nutri Drench is really good and you just add it to the drinking water. I also took a small needle less syringe and sucked up a small amt of the Nu stock and shot a little up into her vent to take care of any gleet lurking inside. All the best.

Back
Top Bottom