Advice needed!

corri

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 1, 2015
I have a pair of pekin ducks and one was just attacked and killed today. :( I am worried about my surviving duck and how he will do on his own. I had already been thinking of getting ducklings in the spring but I am not sure if I should wait or if it is safe to try and introduce him to another adult duck. He is 2 1/2 years old and has only ever had his brother for company. :( Thanks in advance for any advice!

Ducks are very social... I don't know what he would do with new duck in his life besides his brother... :( Maybe you could try to find someone who has an older duck like maybe a year old or so for sale and see if they do well... other wise, I don't know what to say. So sorry about your duck. :( And on New years even. That's horrible. Hope you find some really good advice and I hope your duck does well.

Wishing you all the best in 2015!

Thanks. I know someone that has ducks where I could get one, I just am not sure if that is the right thing to do or not. I feel so bad. :(

I know it is sooo hard to loose a pet.. If I were in your situation, I would shoot for buying a new duck. Put them together for a couple days, see how it goes and if they love each other.... You succeeded! My mallards were fine when I put four pekins into the pen with them... but they were only a couple weeks old. I'm sure they will do fine together... pekins are not an aggressive type of duck! Wishing you the best!

X2 - ducks are flock animals - he NEEDS a friend.

Until you can find another little buddy for you lone duck, you can try placing a shatter proof mirror in his pen, and perhaps a stuffed animal or other soft item to sleep against (no eyes/nose/etc parts that can be pulled off though - hardware disease hazard)...in either case, a lot more attention from you will go far!

For sources of another duck if your source doesn't pan out, try your local Craigslist, or here on BYC...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

Hope that helps, and very sorry for your (and your lone ducks) loss. :(

Dan

Back
Top Bottom