Advice needed!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by corri, Jan 1, 2015.

1. corri

corri Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2015
    I have a pair of pekin ducks and one was just attacked and killed today. :( I am worried about my surviving duck and how he will do on his own. I had already been thinking of getting ducklings in the spring but I am not sure if I should wait or if it is safe to try and introduce him to another adult duck. He is 2 1/2 years old and has only ever had his brother for company. :( Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. Ducks are very social... I don't know what he would do with new duck in his life besides his brother... :( Maybe you could try to find someone who has an older duck like maybe a year old or so for sale and see if they do well... other wise, I don't know what to say. So sorry about your duck. :( And on New years even. That's horrible. Hope you find some really good advice and I hope your duck does well.

Wishing you all the best in 2015!

3. corri

corri Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2015
    Thanks. I know someone that has ducks where I could get one, I just am not sure if that is the right thing to do or not. I feel so bad. :(

4. I know it is sooo hard to loose a pet.. If I were in your situation, I would shoot for buying a new duck. Put them together for a couple days, see how it goes and if they love each other.... You succeeded! My mallards were fine when I put four pekins into the pen with them... but they were only a couple weeks old. I'm sure they will do fine together... pekins are not an aggressive type of duck! Wishing you the best!

5. tdd2

tdd2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2014
    SEPA, USA
    X2 - ducks are flock animals - he NEEDS a friend.

Until you can find another little buddy for you lone duck, you can try placing a shatter proof mirror in his pen, and perhaps a stuffed animal or other soft item to sleep against (no eyes/nose/etc parts that can be pulled off though - hardware disease hazard)...in either case, a lot more attention from you will go far!

For sources of another duck if your source doesn't pan out, try your local Craigslist, or here on BYC...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

Hope that helps, and very sorry for your (and your lone ducks) loss. :(

Dan

1 person likes this.
  6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Sad for your loss. Is there something you need to change to better protect your little survivor?

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by