Advice on a very tiny chick

CaliSarah

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2015
California
Hello all :)
I recently acquired four five week old chicks from a coworker. She has a large farm so she wasn't sure what breeds exactly they were, which I was ok with because I just love having chickens and I had recently lost my Easter Egger to a hawk :(
Two of the chicks are "normal" sized and are getting their adult feathers, the third is shortly behind but a little smaller. The last chick I am a little worried about - it still looks pretty much like when I got them, maybe some tiny adult feathers. I've read about "failure to thrive" chicks and am hoping this isn't the case. Was hoping for some advice on what I should be doing. It eats well and is a normal chick in every other aspect. (It's dark here now, but I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow morning)
Thank you in advance.
Sarah

It won't eat much so just keep it for ages and hope that it's ok. I get the idea that if you act too fast maybe, just maybe, but probably not, that the big ones are Roosters, which are not sort-after for the egg laying abilities, and the smaller one is a hen. getting rid of the hen would be like OOPS. but that's probably not it. she doesn't eat much so I'd just wait ages, let it have what life it can until it becomes sick and / or in pain.

Last edited:
Is the chick a different breed than the others? Could be a bantam, which would be smaller initially, or it could be just a slow grower. If it is eating, drinking, pooping and running around doing little chick things, I would just keep an eye on it. It will most likely catch up. Pictures of chicks are always welcome, love to see them.

Last edited:
I have an Easter Egger like that. Bumblebee was way tinier than the others...strong, ate well, had no problem pushing her way under the heating pad cave even if it meant she shoved biggers one out of her way, but boy she was little. She was slower to feather out and to me she always looked like a baby robin. She's not a Bantam, but she's still not as big as the other Easter Eggers. She's one our favorites - she's just a tough little girl and she lays well.

Don't despair - you may well just have a Bumblebee on your hands and you'll have a soft spot for her for a long time to come.

Bumblebee and the Twins....all the same batch of chicks.

I have an Easter Egger like that. Bumblebee was way tinier than the others...strong, ate well, had no problem pushing her way under the heating pad cave even if it meant she shoved biggers one out of her way, but boy she was little. She was slower to feather out and to me she always looked like a baby robin. She's not a Bantam, but she's still not as big as the other Easter Eggers. She's one our favorites - she's just a tough little girl and she lays well.

Don't despair - you may well just have a Bumblebee on your hands and you'll have a soft spot for her for a long time to come.

Bumblebee and the Twins....all the same batch of chicks.

These are so sweet Blooie!

Back
Top Bottom