Advice on adding a new Rooster to my flock

humblehillsfarm

Crazy chicken lady
Mar 27, 2020
Southwestern Pennsylvania
My Coop
My Coop
I'm a nervous wreck over this. I inherited four three-year old chickens in 2019: a black cochin Roo, a black cochin hen, and two buff brahma hens. My Roo is named Rooster Cogburn and he's the sweetest fluffy boy who is kinda breedist in that he only likes his lady Henrietta, the black cochin hen. But because of their excessive fluff and age, her eggs are almost never fertilized. Two months after I got them, I added seven chicks to the flock and fast forward to 4/21/20 he's never showed a lick of interest in them. Honestly, Rooster Cogburn is amazing. He's never once showed aggressiveness toward me or his ladies. When he runs, he fills us with laughter at his funny awkward waddle. When he is close, I can always reach out and pet him. Here's the issue: I want fertilized eggs just for the comfort of knowing I could hatch them if I needed to. I am adding three hatching eggs, due to hatch in four days, and four female chicks in 10 days, AND, along with the four females, I have a black copper maran rooster chick coming. I am scared poo-less that he will be a demon, or he and my sweet Rooster Cogburn won't get along, or if one, two, or three of those hatching eggs contain males, what on earth will I do? Can anyone share their experiences with multiple roosters? My coop will actually be over capacity by 2-3 chickens at that point BUT they free range on four acres. It is my intention to have a new coop 3x the current size within the next year.

So if your current roo is as sweet as you say then he shouldnt have a problem with another roo, especially if he shows no interest in the other girls. And there are some breeds like that (i.e. Lavender Orpington). Roosters will fight over a female if they both want her and that's normal. Rarely does it result with something you have to treat. I wouldn't be worried about anything until you have roos constantly fighting each other and hitting each other

So if your current roo is as sweet as you say then he shouldnt have a problem with another roo, especially if he shows no interest in the other girls. And there are some breeds like that (i.e. Lavender Orpington). Roosters will fight over a female if they both want her and that's normal. Rarely does it result with something you have to treat. I wouldn't be worried about anything until you have roos constantly fighting each other and hitting each other

I've just read so many horror stories of aggressive roosters so I've been doubting my decision to add more to the flock!

If he's sweet it should be fine. Especially if he's a well established roo then the others should leave his girl alone. I don't think you should worry but only time will tell.

Thank you for the reassurance! I was hoping due to his age and singular preference we would be fine. I'm not sure if I can do the deed if we had to eat one but I guess if he was aggressive enough I wouldn't feel as bad. I couldn't take out my current Roo. Even though he is a freeloading slacker I actually think his hen would die with him. It's clear she prefers him as they are never more than five feet from each other and she loves to sleep under his breast.

You will definatly have problems with multiple roosters unless they are confined to a pen each with his own hens.
The trouble will start when your young roosters reach 6 months to a year and the hormones start kicking in.
I would be concerned for your Cogburn rooster because he is so mild mannered.
I have had 2 roosters at once, a standard and a bantam, but the bantam had to always keep a distance and look out of the standard who never missed an oportunity to whip the tar out of him when ever he could.
You will likely end up with 1 or 2 roosters from your hatching eggs, possibly all three. My broody hatched 9 chicks last summer and 7 were roosters. Not a 50/50 ratio you always are quoted as likely.
My extra roosters are culled in the fall, after i have tried all avenues to find good homes for the nicer ones.
If it were me i would be happy with cogburn who sounds very unique and a definate keeper, and as far as fertle eggs, you can always pick some up localy or in line.
I just purchased a dozen (she included 6 extra in case of breakage)on craigslist from a gal 60 miles away. She shipped USPS, i paid paypal.
good luck!

You will definatly have problems with multiple roosters unless they are confined to a pen each with his own hens.
The trouble will start when your young roosters reach 6 months to a year and the hormones start kicking in.
I would be concerned for your Cogburn rooster because he is so mild mannered.
I have had 2 roosters at once, a standard and a bantam, but the bantam had to always keep a distance and look out of the standard who never missed an oportunity to whip the tar out of him when ever he could.
You will likely end up with 1 or 2 roosters from your hatching eggs, possibly all three. My broody hatched 9 chicks last summer and 7 were roosters. Not a 50/50 ratio you always are quoted as likely.
My extra roosters are culled in the fall, after i have tried all avenues to find good homes for the nicer ones.
If it were me i would be happy with cogburn who sounds very unique and a definate keeper, and as far as fertle eggs, you can always pick some up localy or in line.
I just purchased a dozen (she included 6 extra in case of breakage)on craigslist from a gal 60 miles away. She shipped USPS, i paid paypal.
good luck!

I was worried the new roo would whoop up on Rooster Cogburn. Ugh. Unfortnately I can't cancel my order on the Black Copper Maran and like you said, I could end up with three more from those eggs. I think I just need a game plan dispatching the extras if need be, I just don't think I can be the one to do it. I told my bf if the maran is mean, he will be the most expensive chicken we've ever eaten. $18 just for the chick!!

Back
Top Bottom