Advice on additions

drmusic

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 9, 2013
Sterlington LA
As I posted in another thread, I lost 2 of my 4 girls to the heat earlier this week. I had already planned to build a larger coop and get more chicks this spring but my 2 remaining girls look so lonely I have just about decided to get a few more now (AND in the spring when I build my new coop).

A local farmer has 2-4 month old pullets for sale: Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, and Australorps. The Barred Rock is the only of the breeds that was on my short list for the spring. My first thought was to get one of each, but I have just about ruled out the Australorps because I would rather have hens that are less likely to go broody. Right now I am thinking about getting 2 Barred Rocks and 1 RIR.

I currently have 1 red sex link and 1 Ameracauna. I like to have a variety of egg colors and I just enjoy watching them do their thing – I don’t handle them a lot so the skittishness of the RIRs is not a concern. As you might have guessed, I need something that can survive a hot climate.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

As I posted in another thread, I lost 2 of my 4 girls to the heat earlier this week. I had already planned to build a larger coop and get more chicks this spring but my 2 remaining girls look so lonely I have just about decided to get a few more now (AND in the spring when I build my new coop).

A local farmer has 2-4 month old pullets for sale: Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, and Australorps. The Barred Rock is the only of the breeds that was on my short list for the spring. My first thought was to get one of each, but I have just about ruled out the Australorps because I would rather have hens that are less likely to go broody. Right now I am thinking about getting 2 Barred Rocks and 1 RIR.

I currently have 1 red sex link and 1 Ameracauna. I like to have a variety of egg colors and I just enjoy watching them do their thing – I don’t handle them a lot so the skittishness of the RIRs is not a concern. As you might have guessed, I need something that can survive a hot climate.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Each ameracauna, Easter egg chickens, hen lays a different color egg. Maybe more of that breed?

I would love another Ameracauna but the nearby farm only has the 3 breeds listed. One of the hens who died was an Ameracauna. She was a very sweet bird and laid lots of beautiful eggs. Both of my Ameracauna laid as many eggs as my sex links (the other one that died was a black sex link).

For my spring additions my short list is now Ameracauna, exchecquer leghorn, and welsummer.

Back
Top Bottom