advice on animal bite?

Hi everyone! Using the pointer and middle finger of my right hand now so I can type a bit better!

The animal was a Kinkajou. Its in the raccoon family. The animals are vaccinated and all of them are legal and have paperwork. She is USDA and FWC lisenced. She does not carry workmans comp because in the state of FL you do not need to under law unless you have 4 or more employees. Fewer than 4 (which she only has 3) unless you are in construction is not required.

She is continuing to pressure me into making a decision. Ive told her where I stand but that as my boss the final decision is ultimatly hers but she just keeps asking me what I want and I dont know what to tell her when she can just do what she wants.

sorry to hear about that.
hugs.gif

i am sure this woman still should have paid for the medical since it was her animal that bit you and caused damage. have you looked into getting a lawyer to claim the medical coverage from her?

Quote:
Take her to small claims court with any paperwork you can, including pictures of the injury. It will undoubtedly be covered, but as for further employment, you're screwed.

Does she realize that you can sue her????? Talk to an attorney, the laws are quite harsh about employee being fed to the animals. Does she have all the proper permits? Did you receive proper training to interact with the animals? Are the "exotics" legal for her to own? Are you a minor? Was she paying you under the table? Think about this, what she did is wrong. Light a fire under her butt, you'll get the money she owes you in a flash.
Slinky

Last edited:
I'm not sure that the fact you were taking cash for the job under the table would go down too well in court. You take a big risk that you will be reported by the judge to the IRS.

Unfortunately, OP, I think this sort of thing is the risk you take when take an "under the table" job. I do think she should pay for your medical bills and if I were you I would continue to pester her about it. She will probably pay just to get you off her back, but I'm not sure you will either win in court because your job was not a "legal" job, so to speak, or that you would want to go to court over this when you consider the possible implications.

Bull Feathers! You can be paid under the table, it's legal. What's illegal is not reporting it on your tax return. Since she hasn't been working there long enough to report it---No harm, No foul (or Fowl to make it chicken oriented LOL).
Slinky

i would report it as an animal attach to the usda and who liceanced her. that animal attacked a human and needs put down before it attacks someone else. do not take her to small claims court go to a personal injury lawyer. let them handle it and sue her!!! report it to your local labor and industry. she is liable because she is the owner and liceanced to have it and she must have her animals under control at all times and is responsible for any damages they cause. she is also responsible because u got hurt on her property. u should be able to sue her homeowners insurance and u may even be able to get multipal settlements. she is also still responsible for ur medical bills. being paid under the table is not illegal unless u didn't report it for taxes. request a 1099 and report it if u haven't so already.

Back
Top Bottom