Advice on breeds please. Raising chicks for the first time in Utah!

I definitely agree with @Parront . I have two CQs/RSLs (not sure what they are) and they're really sweet and lovely. They're great layers, and they've both learned to "knock" (peck on the window) when they want treats!

That is a lot of breeds to be able to choose from for a store. I read your comments, and maybe you do not have space to keep all 6? I know all of us are crazy about chickens here, I am right in there wanting rare and exotic breeds! But for my neighbor with a 7 year old, I got her 5 from the hatchery order I put in last spring. 3 were sex-links, Red, Brown and Black, to be sure she did not get a rooster for at least 3. Sexing mistakes are difficult to make with the sex-links and they are nice to kids. The other 2 were a Marans and a Welsummer for the pretty colors of their eggs. My neighbor girl loves the red sex-link the best, she still can hold that chicken -- named it "Princess Lay-ah" from Star Wars. :lau Just saying, for a low probability of a youngster falling in love with the rooster chick, and not having to raise extras, consider sex-links. Then, after you get your feet wet, and wnat to up grade (Chicken Math is real), the more exotic, special or heritage breeds could be next year's chicks. (Every spring I need more chicks, you know)!
Yes, the local store (Intermountain Farmer's Association) has great variety, and they are willing to take back roosters for others to eat or adopt for free. Local ordinance allow for up to 10, and our yard size is reasonable (0.25 acres), but I don't want to be so overwhelmed from the very beginning, that's why I want to start small :D

You have a good point with sex-links, but I have also read so many posts where people regretted not starting with variety. I am on the fence, but good point about easier sexing for sure.

I like the knock part! Haha.
Yeah, I get the diversity thing. RSLs are still really beautiful birds. My two girls have lovely cinnamon/tawny feathers, and one has a white neck (like a BCM, but white on tawny.) I'd start with a couple sex-links, and fill out the rest with other breeds. Maybe 1/2 sex-links, an Australorp, Lakenvelder, and Barred Rock?

(I'm biased towards BRs- I really want one lol!)
Yeah, I get the diversity thing. RSLs are still really beautiful birds. My two girls have lovely cinnamon/tawny feathers, and one has a white neck (like a BCM, but white on tawny.) I'd start with a couple sex-links, and fill out the rest with other breeds. Maybe 1/2 sex-links, an Australorp, Lakenvelder, and Barred Rock?

Most birds will do most anything for treats. When they learn something they will do it, such as pecking at a window because they know if they do, they will get some treats. Lesson learned.

I don't know for sure if their website is still up, but Good Shepherd poultry has some beautiful heritage BR's.
Ooh! I really want them, but East Baton Rouge only allows 3 in suburban areas with less than 1 acre of backyard. We ordered 4 day old chicks last May from MPC (one security chick because at least one usually dies IME) and of course that was the one time all 4 survived! Unfortunately, the security bird died in January from FLHS, so we're legal again.

Here are my two RSLs/CQs! Peebles is the one roosting, and Flo is standing.
0-4.jpg

0-5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom