Advice on breeds please. Raising chicks for the first time in Utah!

Pics
I was working on a project many years ago with Red Sex-links.
These are the Andrew sisters. The Rhode Island White is Patty, the Rhode Island Red is LaVerne and the Red Sex-link is Maxine. They always stuck together.
2014-03-04 16.13.20.jpg

This was my Red Sex-link project many years ago.
IMG_2963.JPG
IMG_2965.JPG

I definitely agree with @Parront . I have two CQs/RSLs (not sure what they are) and they're really sweet and lovely. They're great layers, and they've both learned to "knock" (peck on the window) when they want treats!
They are really the same. Red Sex-Links are the result of various crosses. These crosses the males hatch out white and, depending on the cross, feather out to pure white or with some black feathering. Females hatch out buff or red also depending on cross, and they feather out in one of three ways.

Red Sex-Links a result of various crosses, such as White Rocks with the silver factor crossed with a New Hampshire or Rhode Island Red male to produce a Golden Comet.
In these crosses generally a Production Red, Rhode Island Red or a New hampshire Red male is used.
  1. Buff with white or tinted undercolor (aka Golden Comet, Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire Red male x Rhode Island White female)
  2. Red with White or tinted undercolor Silver Laced Wyandotte female crossed with a Rhode Island Red or a New Hampshire Red male gives the Cinnamon Queen
  3. Red with Red undercolor (Delaware female x Production Red, Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire Red male) (In this color pattern it is almost impossible to distinguish daughters' color from father's color, but still considered to be a Red Sex-link.
Note: If you cross a Delaware male and Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire Red female, all the chicks should look like the Delaware male.

Last edited:
They are really the same. Red Sex-Links are the result of various crosses. These crosses the males hatch out white and, depending on the cross, feather out to pure white or with some black feathering. Females hatch out buff or red also depending on cross, and they feather out in one of three ways.

Red Sex-Links a result of various crosses, such as White Rocks with the silver factor crossed with a New Hampshire or Rhode Island Red male to produce a Golden Comet.
In these crosses generally a Production Red, Rhode Island Red or a New hampshire Red male is used.
  1. Buff with white or tinted undercolor (aka Golden Comet, Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire Red male x Rhode Island White female)
  2. Red with White or tinted undercolor Silver Laced Wyandotte female crossed with a Rhode Island Red or a New Hampshire Red male gives the Cinnamon Queen
  3. Red with Red undercolor (Delaware female x Production Red, Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire Red male) (In this color pattern it is almost impossible to distinguish daughters' color from father's color, but still considered to be a Red Sex-link.
Note: If you cross a Delaware male and Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire Red female, all the chicks should look like the Delaware male.
I'm sure most don't care about this but just as information. I have done a lot of crosses over the years and someday others may want to experiment too. There are several thread on crosses.

EDITED based on a summary of advices so far, so hard to narrow down (aim for 6 pullets, and 4 hens eventually):
1x Speckled Sussex
1x Delaware
1x Mottled Java
1x Barred Rock
1x Silver Lakenvelder
1x Black Australorp
1x Blue Copper Maran
1x Dominque

So I have taken care of chickens before, both grandparents' when I was little, and landlord's when they were gone, but this will be first time raising my own!
My city has a permit approval process, which I am scheduled to go through next Tuesday.

In the mean time, I went to the local feed store (IFA), and here are all the available pullets:
Speckled Sussex
Delaware
Mottled Java
Barred Rock
Sex Links (Black, Red, Golden)
Silver Lakenvelder
Rhode Island Red
Buckeye
California Gray
Leghorn (Brown, White)
Golden Laced Wyandotte
Jersey Giant
Production Red
Black Australorp
Blue Copper Maran
Dominque

I am hoping to buy 5-6 and eventually end up with 4 hens. I like to have some colors and varieties in my flock, and moderate egg production would be great. I hope to just let them free range during the day with my toddler while I watch in the yard. Here are what I am thinking:
2x Speckled Sussex
1x Mottled Java
1x Rhode Island Red
2x Dominque

What do people think? Any recommendations on chicks that get along better as a flock and growing up with a toddler?
Depends where you are at in Utah, and what elevation. Different breeds do better and have less health issues and better production and can lay during winter or colder climates. And windy areas make it tough for Chicks and chickens to regulate body heat... so just consider your "feels like" weather.

Back
Top Bottom