Advice on choosing chickens

Valley chick

Chirping
Jun 17, 2020
Northern California
Hi, I've just finished expanding my chicken coop/run and in doing my "chicken math" I can get 2 or 3 chicks this spring 😀 so I'm looking for advice on the best to fit in with my existing flock, I live in Northern California, which means hot summer, my run is in the shade and covered (hawks), I currently have 6 hens all 2+ years and older, I don't know what they are a neighbor moved and left them 😕 so a hen , her girlfriend which I believe is a Welsummer and a smaller bantam (she's the queen) type brown black tail in similar appearance blind in 1 eye, came that way I don't know what happened, appeared in my yard with little tiny baby chicks, which led to the beginning of my love for chickens,, so I have the 2 ladies, and their 4 now 2 year old girls, my chickens are pets, I hold each one of them every night to tuck them in with my 6 year old, so I need to choose calm, docile, but good egg layer,heat tolerance in summer 100+, I've narrowed it down in doing my homework, I'm pretty sure 1 will be a Plymouth rock, but the others? I'm thinking of are blue or black Australorp, Dominique, speckled sussex, or salmon favorell ? I would great appreciate any advice on who will fit in the best, thank you

Australorps can be very friendly. That would be my recommendation. I've had several and always liked them. My speckled sussex is also very friendly and gentle, but her brother was a bit of a jerk, so I don't know how docile the breed is in general. This year was the first time I've had speckled sussex. I haven't had the others you mentioned.

Attached photo of Elvis the australorp, who climbed an extension ladder all the way to the roof to see what I was doing and if I had treats.

Attachments

• 20170709_124121.jpg
    20170709_124121.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 3
I love my Australorps. They seemed to handle the heat we had last summer just fine, but we don't get 100+ almost ever, so I can't speak to how they'd deal with that.

My three girls are also pretty quiet, if that figures into your plan.

Back
Top Bottom