Advice on Cleaning Brooder?

HogFoo

Chirping
Mar 24, 2020
Concord, Massachusetts
Chicks just arrived today! We ordered 9 and received 10 safely from Cackle this morning. All survived the trip and they seem super happy chirping about, eating, drinking, and flitting in and out from under their heating plate. But they are definitely messy! So here's my question: How often do you clean up after them?

Right now, I have paper towels down for the first few days. They've been here a couple of hours and the poops are already starting to multiply. How attentive should I be to this when they're on the paper towels? A few times a day, once a day, when it's all covered in poop or when there start to be a bunch of spots, etc.? Also, when I remove the paper towels, what's the corresponding advice for the pine shavings? Turn it a few times a day and clean it every few days? Or something more/less frequent?

Thanks! I want to be sure we're doing the best we can for our little flock.

IMG_1449.JPG

IMG_1451.JPG

IMG_1460.JPG

As long as it does not get to the point of bacteria buildup, usually evident by very strong smells, it's "clean", so to speak. Now, with that said many people don't like poop or slight smells and clean more often. There's nothing wrong with either. The key is to be sure the environment is clean (clean enough there are no risks of disease/bacteria) and safe with water and food.

I only put a towel by their food and did not cover the entire brooder like you have.

I change out any wet wood flakes daily and sprinkle some flakes where they sleep at the same time. Then I clean it out completely only once every week and a half or two depending on moisture, poop levels, etc. A lot of mine are now sleeping on top of the heater plate, so that's where a lot of the poop is, instead of in the bedding. Easier to clean in my book :)

So to answer you questions directly...

How often do you clean up after them while they are on paper towels?
- As often as necessary, likely once a day should be ok unless it's really bad. You don't want them walking all over poop, of course!

How attentive should I be to this when they're on the paper towels?
- I would remove the paper towels except for around the food so you don't need to worry about it as often. Plus save some trees using less paper towels! :)

A few times a day, once a day, when it's all covered in poop or when there start to be a bunch of spots, etc.?
- The first choice, few times a day.

Also, when I remove the paper towels, what's the corresponding advice for the pine shavings? Turn it a few times a day and clean it every few days? Or something more/less frequent?
- The chicks will turn it for you, add/replace as the poop builds. Don't let it get so bad they are walking on nothing but poop, let your nose help, it doesn't need to be spotless, that will be an endless battle :)

Last edited:
I cleaned mine every day. Once they get bigger and poop more you might want to do so twice a day because it will stink.

When I was brooding indoors I cleaned out every 3 days or so (sometimes they'd knock over the waterer, so that necessitated more frequent clean outs), but that was only 3 chicks in a standard bathtub, a much bigger space than your brooder.

Nowadays I brood outdoors and do not clean at all, I just move the brooder to a clean spot instead.

Back
Top Bottom