advice on clipping mallard wings

kylee2katie

Songster
9 Years
May 6, 2010
Stuttgart, Arkansas
We have two 8 1/2 week old mallard hens - who decided this morning to greet me with a new found trick - they can fly!! Not good as I am in Stuttgart, Arkansas, the rice and duck capital of the world....I called our two local vets - they have never clipped wings before, so, I am not going to them....is clipping their wings something that my husband and I can do? any advice would be most helpful and greatly appreciated!! Here are my girls:

56653_img_0997.jpg

56653_img_0992.jpg

56653_img_1000.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Hence I said, "coming into his breeding plumage." By eight and a half weeks most drakes are just starting to get their green heads coming in underneath the chin. Granted, it could be a hen, I can't really see it very well, but it looks like a drake from the juvenile feathers. All mallards look like hens when they first feather in, grey and snowy, but as they get older you can start to see differences. We can normally sex all of our ducklings by about a month old by bill color. If we are keeping drakes for breeding, we normally wait until they molt their juvenile plumage into nuptial the first season and then cull them when they molt out of their breeding plumage back into their first round of adult eclipse. That's when we decide if they measure up. (Unless we have an overly large number of males, and then we cull in the nuptial plumage for "chain-mail" on the claret, amount/size of neck ring.

Last edited:
BUMPING UP TO THE TOP

My husband and I will need to do this today or tomorrow, our birds are a little older. Any suggestions, tips, hints, more links?

Thanks
Kim

Quote:
I found out last night that you are right. I do have a pair!!
lol.png

The darker one in the back (Alex) when I was giving them treats last night, I noticed that he is getting green feathers all over his head and face!!

Back
Top Bottom