ADVICE ON COMPATIBILITY!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mpoland33, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Fanci Feathers Marans

Fanci Feathers Marans Chicken Tender

Jun 26, 2017
    Missouri
    My Coop
    That is absolutely right. You don't want to mix ages when you can help it. For some reason I had it in my head that you were going to trade in those chicks :he that's one of the problems with internet, I guess; losing stuff in text translation.

To spot sick birds, look for discharge coming from the eyes and nose. Eyes should also be nice and bright. Check under the saddle feathers and under the wings for lice and other pests. Look at the bottoms of the feet for bumblefoot. Make sure the butt is nice an fluffy, not just for looks, but to make sure that they haven't had diarrhea. Some chickens simply can't keep their butts clean, though, and in my opinion, you don't want those. Check out the face to look for any signs of swelling or damage.

If you are not confident with handling birds, you can ask the vendor to hold the bird and show you these places for you.

Ask what kind of feed they have been on, if nothing more than to start conversation. They may tell you their recent illness records, or they may not. Depends on the vendor. Most return vendors should be honest in order to keep their business alive, and their customer reviews up.

Sometimes you can't spot a sick bird so easily. Birds with Coccidiosis or END sometimes show no signs at all before dropping dead. I suggest reading up on chicken illnesses, if nothing more than something to fall back on once you have the birds.

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yes!!
    It's much bigger concern than breed compatibility, any birds that come from different places and are put together will have to hash out a pecking order.

NPIP breeders are not going to be bringing their birds to a swap, I wouldn't think...unless they do not plan on bringing any of them back home.

@mpoland33 If you are starting a brand new flock,
    or even if you already have some birds
    I would strongly suggest you order chicks from a hatchery.
    Swaps are frequently a plethoric petri dish of pest and pestilence problems.
    Not a good way to start out, good chance you could be dealing with problem for years.

3. Stevo77

Stevo77 Chirping

Jan 30, 2018
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    I have one Silver Laced Wyandotte and 3 Columbian Wyandotte. The SLW is on the bottom of the pecking order in my flock and stand offish, also she's mean to my 5 year old son. I absolutely love my Columbians, they run up to me and all love to be held. Not sure if this helps but just my experience with what I have.

mpoland33 likes this.
  4. mpoland33

mpoland33 Songster

Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately I don't have any interest in having chicks. I want to get them closer to point of Lay. There's a couple hatcheries that sell them closer to Pol but the price is astronomical and the varieties are not readily available

5. mpoland33

mpoland33 Songster

This is all great tips. I really appreciate the help and I'll definitely look up and do a little research on chicken illnesses so I might be able to spot some and avoid some trouble down the line. If you had to recommend a few different medications to get on hand for someone with a new flock what would you recommend? Obviously we all know even if I get them healthy from the swap there is a chance they can catch something at their house

Fanci Feathers Marans likes this.
  6. Fanci Feathers Marans

Fanci Feathers Marans Chicken Tender

Jun 26, 2017
    Missouri
    My Coop
    I bought Cackle Hatchery's emergency illness kit. It has everything you should need, aside from vaccines. I went in the store and bought it. Not sure if it's available online.

mpoland33 likes this.
  7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I did too...still regretting it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: