Advice on controlling duck population

RoyalHillsLLC

Songster
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
NW Louisiana-Vivian
I have finally gotten predators under control, now all my hens have found a safe spot to lay and are trying raise babies. I am worried I will go from 4 hens to 50 quickly. My muscovies are the ones who are nesting and found places I couldn't collect every day. They had a whole pile of eggs before I knew what happened.
I would like to have around 10 more, but that's plenty for now. If I just let the mama's raise them will predation thin out the babies for me?
I have an LGD that has all but eliminated predation on grown birds, but I am assuming babies look so attractive I will still lose some. Any thoughts? I am way out in the woods, but do have a perimeter fence.
If I have to cull heavy this fall will the other birds get skiddish? Or do people usually just remove excess eggs from the nest once you find them? What's the easiest way to do this? We don't usually eat a lot of our pets, mainly just the eggs.

if you have to many i would sale them. culling isnt fun and if you dont need to why bother? i would just go take the eggs everyday to help prevent the prop. from getting bigger. to keep the 1s you have safe you could always make them a safe night time area to go then in the morning the eggs will be waiting for you
smile.png

hope that helps and good luck!

sell the eggs! or sell the babies! there are duck and chicken people all over the place, you just dont know it
wink.png

I hear that duck eggs are great for baking. I'm looking forward to checking that out later this year.

Good luck!

Just collect the eggs that you do find! If you know they are fresh put them in your fridge!! Or you could sell them as hatching eggs if you don't mind the hassle.

While predation may thin the herd so to speak, I would still remove eggs so they don't raise too many. Each time the predators take one...I'm sure they tell their friends and neighbors and I would worry that you will have more of a problem again.

Back
Top Bottom