Advice on getting a goat tomorrow

Quote:
I'll 25th (or so) the motion to get at least two goats, and not to get a goat from the auction on account of diseases, parasites, and the fact that a goodly portion of salebarn goats are there because they've become a problem for someone else.

Beyond that, a goat's primary 'feed' is browse, graze, and hay. My advice would be to consider bagged feed as supplemental feed. If your hay's good -- legumes like alfalfa, lespedeza, or clover, or a good grass/legume mix -- and/or you have enough browse and graze, they probably won't need much supplementation.

To determine when supplementation is necessary, learn to judge body condition...I shoot for a BCS somewhere around 3. Below that, I up their supplementation. Above that, I cut their supplementation. Every goat is different, too...just because two goats are on the same hay and same amount of supplemental feed doesn't by any means ensure that you won't end up with one declining in BCS while they other turns into a tubbo. You may very well have to bump one up while you cut the other back. That's why BCS is important...you kinda have to judge each goat individually.

While always important, nutritional issues are probably at their highest points of importance during late pregnancy -- like, the last 6 weeks -- and during lactation. Pregnancy toxemia, post-kidding ketosis, and milk fever come into play during those times, but with the volumes which could be -- and indeed have been -- written on each of those subjects, they're well beyond the scope of this post. To answer your question, though, a good dairy goat blend is best. If you can't find that, my 2nd choice would be a good "Mare & Foal" blend horse feed.

Avoid "Sheep" and "Sheep & Goat" feed of any and all kinds.

Providing high-quality mineral is also extremely important. It's difficult-to-impossible to distinguish deficiency in one mineral from another, so prevention is the key. Many goats need supplemental copper and selenium even beyond what's offered in a high quality goat-labeled mineral, but it depends on what's in your soil. Check with vets and other goat people in your area...if they're using Bo-Se (selenium + vitamin e) and/or supplemental copper for goats, you probably should too.

Free choice loose mineral that's offered in small quantities and refreshed often will almost certainly serve you best.

Bone up on goat parasites, too. Learn to understand FAMACHA at the very least; being able to run your own fecal egg counts is an even better skill to have. Understand that, for some reason, goats are the perfect host for building anthelmintic-resistant parasites. Wormers that work will eventually stop working if you use them over and over and over again...anthelmintic rotation is important to avoiding anthelmintic resistant parasites.

When you get your goats home, I'd recommend having -- at a bare minimum -- the following supplies on hand:

- 18, 20, and 22ga needles in 3/4" to 1" lengths.
- 3ml and 6ml syringes
- An actual drench syringe (used to dose orally...think pepto, etc)
- A 'clear' dewormer like injectable Ivomec, Cydectin, Dectomax, etc.. (generally dosed orally -- reeeally do your homework on goat parasites!)
- PenG (Penicillin Procaine G; decent broad spectrum antibiotic; good for kids; dose 1ml/15lbs using an 18ga needle, 2x/day for 10-14 days)
- Bio-Mycin 200 ('no-sting' oxytetracycline 200mg; another decent broad spectrum; I dose at about 1ml/30lbs, 1x/day for about 5 days)
- Scour-Halt (oral spectinomycin; usually stops bacterial scours fast; 3-5ml orally for adults, every 12hrs as necessary; usually accompanied by injectable antibiotics; kid dosage would be about 2ml every 12hrs, as needed)
- DiMethox (Sulfadimethoxine; primarily used for coccidia, though it's also an antibiotic)
- Electrolyte packets (very important to keep goat hydrated if scours develop)
- Pepto Bismol and/or Kaopectate
- Probios (good gut bacteria)
- C/D-T vaccine (protects against clostridium perfringens types C & D, as well as tetanus)
- Tetanus Antitoxin (provides about 10 days worth of protection against tetanus; use when unvaccinated goats are physically injured)
- Furazone ('neosporin for livestock', basically; topical antibacterial dressing)
- Iodine (good for flushing wounds)

These are the meds -- just right off the top of my head -- that I'd want if I had to start over with new goats and no supplies.

sad.png
CM, you know its not at all always possible to avoid sheep or sheep/goat feeds. In my instance, I can't get much else.

Contact adga.org. That is the American Dairy Goat Association. Ask them to send you a list of breeders in your area.

Two things ALL goat owners should have on hand is clostrium perfingens antitoxin for entero and Gas X for bloat. Goats can get entero even if they are vaccinated and they can bloat at any time. When you need these items you need them NOW!! Both conditions are a true emergency.

You get Gas X at the grocery or drug store. Works better than anything else.

Hmm.. I'll check out Costco next time I'm there.

I can't get a lot in Canada for my goats without going to the vet, and most the time they don't want to give it to you lol.

I did go out to the stockyard today but I did not buy a goat. They had about 30 there today and the babies were SO cute. There was one that looked like an oreo and she was a nanny. I would've bought her for sure but at the advice of numerous people I didn't get one. I did notice 2 little goats with poopy all over their butts and they were in the same holding stall as the one I liked. My little boy liked it though. We had fun walking around looking.

I do appreciate all the helpful information. I do have lots of supplies on hand. We have horses and give their vaccinations and wormings to them ourselves.

Is Craigslist a good place to look for goats?

Quote:
Around here, goats on Craigslist tend to run hot and cold.. You can just tell some are garbage, bred by morons who don't know the first thing about a goat. Others seem to be decent animals bred by people who act like they might have a lick of sense. And, of course, there's a lot in between.

The key is to put yourself in a position where you can take your time, observe the herd, and ask questions of the owner.. Do they test for CL, CAE, Johnes, TB...anything like that? What's their vaccination schedule? What's their deworming process? What do they feed? Do the rest of their goats look well-cared for? Can these people carry on a conversation about goats for more than 5 minutes before reaching the very bottom of the goat information area of their brain? That sort of thing.

I've sold a couple on Craigslist myself, actually.

Craigslist can be a good resource as long as you keep your wits about you. I found mine through Craigslist by posting a wanted ad, and have sold several that way.

Back
Top Bottom