Advice on Hatcher for mixed breeds

I have used Meyer Hatchery and have had good results, only twice have they missed on the sex of a chick. When they do miss they refund the price of the chick.

I think the important thing to remember when ordering chicks is to order from the hatchery that is closest to your home to reduce delivery time. When I order from Meyer Hatchery (Polk, Ohio) they always ship on a Monday and my chicks always arrive at my local post office early Wednesday morning and I'm usually waiting on the post office to call me to come pick up the chicks. If I don't hear from the post office, I will usually just get there around 0730 and ask for my chicks.

IMG_0280.jpeg

IMG_2027.jpeg

Last edited:
I have used Meyer Hatchery and have had good results, only twice have they missed on the sex of a chick. When they do miss they refund the price of the chick.

I think the important thing to remember when ordering chicks is to order from the hatchery that is closest to your home to reduce delivery time. When I order from Meyer Hatchery (Polk, Ohio) they always ship on a Monday and my chicks always arrive at my local post office early Wednesday morning and I'm usually waiting on the post office to call me to come pick up the chicks. If I don't hear from the post office, I will usually just get there around 0730 and ask for my chicks.

View attachment 3741011

View attachment 3741012

Location (and the fact that my local independent feed store orders from ideal) was a reason I chose Ideal. Their geographic location is a lot closer than the hatcheries in Iowa I was looking at.

Also, look at all those cute little balls of fluff! I get puppyitis easily. Now I may get chickieitis.

All our local farm stores use Ideal. I have purchased chicks from one or the other several times and except for TSC getting the breed/sex wrong of the chicks I picked up, they have all been VERY healthy. Waiting on my next 6 as I type this. :)

All our local farm stores use Ideal. I have purchased chicks from one or the other several times and except for TSC getting the breed/sex wrong of the chicks I picked up, they have all been VERY healthy. Waiting on my next 6 as I type this. :)
Thank you I actually found a local feed store that posts what they will be getting and they are getting most the breeds I want. I actually work at Tsc and the only issue is they don’t know what breeds we will get and Have a four chick minimum at a time. But being here I’m sure I’ll end up with even more lol I don’t have enough will powers and we start getting them next week.

Thank you I actually found a local feed store that posts what they will be getting and they are getting most the breeds I want. I actually work at Tsc and the only issue is they don’t know what breeds we will get and Have a four chick minimum at a time. But being here I’m sure I’ll end up with even more lol I don’t have enough will powers and we start getting them next week.
(Read this in a classic, dark, Voice of Doom:)
"CHICKEN MATH IS REAL!"

Translation:
"You WILL end up with more than you planned ... it's the nature of the beast!"
If you're planning to add multiple breeds, the four chick minimum shouldn't be an issue , because you can mix and match. Picking chicks is like a classic children's story - the one about the mouse and a cookie ...
Once you scoop up the first Little Fuzzy, your eye will follow the one that just avoided your hands. That will draw you to another one that has a slightly different face or coloring. When you move over to reach THAT chick, you will be able to see into the next bin over ... and the process will start all over again. If your store has more than two bins, you're in trouble. You're gonna need a bigger coop ... which, of course, means you'll have to go back for more chicks ...

Back
Top Bottom