Advice on how to get my girls to start laying?

LukeandAli

Songster
8 Years
Nov 28, 2011
Carver, Oregon
We got 6 chickens and a duck (all supposed to be good layers) last week and only one of them has been laying, as far as we can tell. She's given us an egg per day (except Sunday), but, the others aren't seeming too into laying. :(

Is there anything I can do to get these girls to start laying? I've tried adding pepper to the food. No luck there. There's a light in their coop that's on a daily timer. They get plenty of protein. What's a chicken mama to do?

How old are they? Do you have a rooster?

If you have a rooster, you can expect eggs to be laid two weeks after the rooster starts mounting and mating with them. If everyone is well and healthy.

Best of luck.

After birds are moved to a new home, it sometimes takes a few weeks for them to feel comfortable and safe enough to begin laying regularly. Keep a really normal, calm routine - don't go changing everything on them every day to try and get them to lay, because that can freak them out all over again and make the delay even longer.

After birds are moved to a new home, it sometimes takes a few weeks for them to feel comfortable and safe enough to begin laying regularly. Keep a really normal, calm routine - don't go changing everything on them every day to try and get them to lay, because that can freak them out all over again and make the delay even longer.

goodpost.gif
thumbsup.gif
highfive.gif

x2. I bought a 10 month old bird in the fall, I bought her because she laid an egg in front of me. Figured it's a good safe bet to buy one I saw lay, after I moved her it still took her almost 2 months to get back into the swing of things. Only difference in food from the previous owner and me was I gave lots of treats and he didn't. We used the same brand of food and everything.

I guess I'll have to keep being patient.
roll.png
I was hoping that since Minerva Louise (hubby named her) started laying, that the others would follow suit. :p We don't have a rooster. Our oldest girl is 2.5 years old. All the others are 1.5 years or younger. They're clean, well fed and hydrated, and get lots of fresh greens. I think my husband may be "spoiling" them with oatmeal, veggies, and yogurt; but, I figure it's good for them. :)

Back
Top Bottom