1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Advice on how to get my girls to start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LukeandAli, Jan 11, 2012.

1. LukeandAli

LukeandAli Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    Carver, Oregon
    We got 6 chickens and a duck (all supposed to be good layers) last week and only one of them has been laying, as far as we can tell. She's given us an egg per day (except Sunday), but, the others aren't seeming too into laying. :(

Is there anything I can do to get these girls to start laying? I've tried adding pepper to the food. No luck there. There's a light in their coop that's on a daily timer. They get plenty of protein. What's a chicken mama to do?

2. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    I used to give my hens Country Lane brand layer crumbles, but I recently changed to Nutrena. I have been getting lots of eggs from my hens.

3. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    How old are they? Do you have a rooster?

If you have a rooster, you can expect eggs to be laid two weeks after the rooster starts mounting and mating with them. If everyone is well and healthy.

Best of luck.

4. krickets

krickets Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Alberta, Canada
    After birds are moved to a new home, it sometimes takes a few weeks for them to feel comfortable and safe enough to begin laying regularly. Keep a really normal, calm routine - don't go changing everything on them every day to try and get them to lay, because that can freak them out all over again and make the delay even longer.

5. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    x2. I bought a 10 month old bird in the fall, I bought her because she laid an egg in front of me. Figured it's a good safe bet to buy one I saw lay, after I moved her it still took her almost 2 months to get back into the swing of things. Only difference in food from the previous owner and me was I gave lots of treats and he didn't. We used the same brand of food and everything.

7. LukeandAli

LukeandAli Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    Carver, Oregon
    I guess I'll have to keep being patient. [​IMG] I was hoping that since Minerva Louise (hubby named her) started laying, that the others would follow suit. :p We don't have a rooster. Our oldest girl is 2.5 years old. All the others are 1.5 years or younger. They're clean, well fed and hydrated, and get lots of fresh greens. I think my husband may be "spoiling" them with oatmeal, veggies, and yogurt; but, I figure it's good for them. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by