How to get my girl to start laying again

Swampy_9

Chirping
Apr 3, 2023
Quick question.

My girl just turned a year old and has had her first molt like maybe 1 or 2 months ago.

It's somewhat chili still but after her molt she went right back into laying eggs.

However I want to say she's stopped laying for a whole 2 weeks now or just about.

I've been feeding her the same. Gets enough water and still nothing.

I keep checking her over just incase she's egg bound hut she isn't she poops just fine so I don't think she's clogged.

I know there is a possibility I just haven't found them given she changed egg laying spots instead of in an egg box like I had hoped.

What else can I give her to help get her back into egg laying

She's just taking a break or if it's been cloudy, she may not be getting enough light to trigger the pituitary gland that controls laying. egg laying is ovulation, a hormone controlled process.
What's her diet? Diet can affect laying if it's very poor.

She's just taking a break or if it's been cloudy, she may not be getting enough light to trigger the pituitary gland that controls laying. egg laying is ovulation, a hormone controlled process.
What's her diet? Diet can affect laying if it's very poor.
Oh alright I'm just getting worried she had a problem

So far she has a layer feed of 16% protein and some oyster shells for most of the week and If I'm not watching she does get into the flock feed that's 20% protein.

I don't feed her scratch unless it's the weekend so she gets just small treats. On the off chance I also give her some veggies

Oh alright I'm just getting worried she had a problem

So far she has a layer feed of 16% protein and some oyster shells for most of the week and If I'm not watching she does get into the flock feed that's 20% protein.

I don't feed her scratch unless it's the weekend so she gets just small treats. On the off chance I also give her some veggies
I wouldnt worry You can allow her free access to the flock feed, It's actually likely better for her than 16% layer.

I know there is a possibility I just haven't found them given she changed egg laying spots instead of in an egg box like I had hoped.
Are they free range?

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

You might try the vent check to see if she is actually laying. A hen that is laying will have a moist, pink, large vent. A hen not laying will have a dry tight vent. Compare her to others you know are laying.

Hiding a nest is very common. Aart covered that.

You don't talk about having other hens laying so I'll ask. Is something getting her egg? If other hens were laying it would probably not just be her eggs that are going missing. Most critters that eat eggs leave traces but not a snake, canines, or humans. A snake eats eggs then leaves to digest them. They tend to stay away for two or three days before coming back. This does not sound like a snake.

You don't say where you are so I'll assume North America for the critters.. A fox or coyote would probably be more interested in a hen than just the eggs so probably not one of them. A dog will often leave the hens alone but take eggs. Does a dog have access?

A human does not necessarily mean a stranger. Sometimes people do things like this as a practical joke.

Are they free range?

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.
They are free range but I'll try and retrain her. There was a moment in the first few months of laying she would at least lay in the coop

Back
Top Bottom