Advice on incubated egg - is it viable?

Oh, just another observation. Not really close to a home situation, but I’ve seen plenty times chicks from day olds to ones I know are at least two weeks get mixed together at Tractor Supply (Farm supply store that sells chicks). Of course they are high volume, high stress, high turnover situations, but every time I look (and that’s a lot!) the mixed bins seem to be getting on fine together.

Thank you, I appreciate you saying that.. :hugs I will think about getting more eggs. I am unsure about the number though - you know I was calculating to raise two chicks and get four adopted from the poultry house, as 6 is really the maximum amount of chickens I can - and want to keep. What are the chances that if I get say 4 eggs (that's maximum capacity of my small incubator) all four of them will hatch? :) Also regarding the hens and roosters - what if there is more than one rooster? All of these chances get higher with higher amount of eggs. But I know you said 50% hatch rate - so should I at best expect 2 chicks out of those 4 eggs?
Oh, ok. I just said 5 to be safe. If your incubator can only fit 4, just get 4. I didn't realize you had a max number. If you have checked your incubator with a calibrated thermometer, and turn them often, the chances are pretty good that at least half will hatch (if they're viable healthy embryos). If any boys hatch (which may very well be all of them, the smaller the number of eggs you're hatching the more chance you may get all roos or all hens) you can either process them, sell them, or keep one. Only one though. If you keep more than 1 they'll fight and abuse your hens, since you aren't going to have very many. Roosters are very good birds though, if you have a good roo he'll take amazing care of your flock. Yes, you should hopefully be able to expect 2 chicks, if all goes well. Let me know what happens!

I knew it sounds easier than it actually is in reality, damn... :( It seemed like an ideal option really. The hens are from industrial poultry house where they lay eggs - I think they are often leghorns - which I now realize is a breed that doesn't go broody right?

Well, another option is to just drop this entire endeavor and just adopt the hens and not raise any chicks. I will have to think about it some more to decide...
Leghorns almost never go broody, sadly (or not sadly depending on what you want from them) If you get a rooster, you would get fertile eggs from your hens and you could incubate those-I know that in the US there is never a shortage of extra roos. If you do that you want to try to have 6+ hens, but that's not a firm number, so you may need more or less for a good ratio. You could also try buying more fertile eggs at once to incubate, or a bunch of day old or week old chicks.

Leghorns almost never go broody, sadly (or not sadly depending on what you want from them) If you get a rooster, you would get fertile eggs from your hens and you could incubate those-I know that in the US there is never a shortage of extra roos. If you do that you want to try to have 6+ hens, but that's not a firm number, so you may need more or less for a good ratio. You could also try buying more fertile eggs at once to incubate, or a bunch of day old or week old chicks.
Thank you for your input! Oh yes, buying chicks also crossed my mind. But it's not the same as when you incubate them yourself. :)

Thank you for your input! Oh yes, buying chicks also crossed my mind. But it's not the same as when you incubate them yourself. :)
Of course! I haven't been lucky enough to have the opportunity to incubate, so I just jealously look at the incubation threads on here. (parents+rooster laws+money=no incubator)

Incubating/hatching is the best. I hope you get to try it someday! You'll becone addicted!
Believe me- as soon as I can, I will! I have evil plans that involve a LOT of chickens, so hatching will have to help build that up! Right now, the main blockers are cost and roosters-parents WILL NOT allow a roo. Neither will neighbors.

Believe me- as soon as I can, I will! I have evil plans that involve a LOT of chickens, so hatching will have to help build that up! Right now, the main blockers are cost and roosters-parents WILL NOT allow a roo. Neither will neighbors.
Sounds perfect! I'll be evil too, and recommend that you get an NR 360 when you start "hatching" your evil plan :lau
I'm so impressed with mine. My hopes weren't high from the get go, but boy, it's good. Aw, I hope you move somewhere where you can have roos. They're such special little guys.
You'll love hatching. It's so fun, you'll become a hatchaholic. There's worse things to be addicted to :idunno
Lol

Sounds perfect! I'll be evil too, and recommend that you get an NR 360 when you start "hatching" your evil plan :lau
I'm so impressed with mine. My hopes weren't high from the get go, but boy, it's good. Aw, I hope you love somewhere where you can have roos. They're such special little guys.
Don't worry-my dream home is a hobby farm in the maine countryside. A place that allows roos is a must! I'd love to have a bachelor pad/rooster rescue some day.

Sounds like a great plan. I want to have a bachelor flock someday too. Roos are awesome.
My *very evil* plans: (that probably won't happen but i can try)
-standard chicken flock
-bantam flock
-bachelor pad/rooster rescue (or as 2 separate entities)
-ducks
-pigeons+quail
-sheep
That doesn't even include the house pets. My goal is to live and die surrounded by animals. In maine because maine is great.

Back
Top Bottom