Advice on neighbor who shot at my dog

This is YOU projecting.. and judging your neighbor for how they look. WOW!

Sounds like your neighbor is living their life and YOU might be the stalker.

Please understand that I don't really feel that way about you.. I'm only trying or attempting to point out that your perspective and personal fears or conspiracy theories might be influencing your thoughts and experience. Maybe try giving your neighbor the benefit of the doubt.. they don't have to be scared to know that sometimes big dogs attack little dogs even.. and every single one of us will do what it takes when the time comes to protect what we love dearly.. You personally described him as "mean" to your neutered companion dog despite not having shown human aggression..

So can a car driving by.. you're neighbor's intent is NOT to kill your dog.. But his actions can point to just how key it is to ensure your dogs are EFFECTIVELY contained.. I know some are escape artists that will find away.. and can be frustrating.. The neighbor cannot be blamed for YOUR dogs actions and being at large..

I do hope the situation improves between you and your neighbor.. it's much better to live in peace and harmony knowing your neighbors have your back (best they can) rather than under suspicion.

Choose LOVE not fear.. BE the change. :hugs
@goats-n-oats said the looked to have shot at the neighbour shot at the dog and giving dirty looks. It may be something or it may not be. It’s not being a stalker actually, it is being protective. Yes the dog should not be out of the yard but you should still keep a close eye on your dog around the neighbours if you have a suspicion. Maybe next time it happens to over and apologise, bake a cake for them who knows maybe they’re really nice people. You may get along really well

I once had a neighbor that watched me while I was outside doing chores. I finally figured out it wasn't just a coincidence than whenever I was outside, he was too, but when I went into the house so did he. It was annoying more than creepy.

@goats-n-oats said the looked to have shot at the neighbour shot at the dog and giving dirty looks. It may be something or it may not be. It’s not being a stalker actually, it is being protective. Yes the dog should not be out of the yard but you should still keep a close eye on your dog around the neighbours if you have a suspicion. Maybe next time it happens to over and apologise, bake a cake for them who knows maybe they’re really nice people. You may get along really well
Thanks. I was hoping someday it will get better.

You need to check the law in your state regarding the legality of the owner of property shooting an intruding dog, usually threatening the owner's livestock. It may include the property owner being fearful of their own safety.

Generally, simply shooting a dog for running across your property is illegal and opens the shooter to a law suit by the dog owner. However, it sounds like your neighbors are fearful of your large dog threatening their safety. Fear causes extreme measures to be taken that can escalate into a situation that is unsafe for all parties involved.

It's been my experience, and I've had direct run-ins with neighbors over their dogs threatening my chickens, that talking to these neighbors always helps, if only to make it clear where everyone stands on their intentions. My guess is that your neighbors are afraid of your large dog. Taking the dog, on a leash, with you to talk to your neighbors could go a long way toward diffusing a dangerous situation and possibly saving all parties from unnecessary grief.

Talking always is better than shooting.
Hi, I did check with a lawyer, and legally the neighbor was in the right. Maybe an asshole move, but not illegal.

First, get an electric collar is what I recommend, even though you can put rubber over that shockers as not hurt the dog, it breaks them really well, Ik from
Experience. Just don’t keep it on all the time, or it will burn the dog. Then get your own handgun and when you feel threatened put it in a holster. You don’t need to use it, just have it there so the nabors understand you will protect your dog. Not to shoot anything of course but to make sure. Maybe I am wrong but that’s what I would do. I hope you the best of luck!
I do open carry; another neighbor recommended that I carry a sidearm conspicuously since I am a female living alone. I was carrying a handgun but switched to a 22LR rifle since there has been an issue with foxes. Everyone here has guns so it doesn't seem like a deterrent to the neighbor. I think most people here are more afraid of the sherriff and courthouse.
I do have an electric collar but haven't tried using on him; I read that there's no point training recall for Anatolian Shepherds, that they were bred to expand their territory. I've read they shouldn't even be taken off the property to visit friends or neighbors, since they will then think that is their property to protect as well.

It sounds like you need a physical fence for your dog. I agree that you should talk to your neighbor, and introduce them to your dog if they are interested in meeting him. Life is easier with friendly neighbors. But, regardless - it's safest and best for all involved, to confine the dog
I mentioned in the original post there I did build a physical fence for him; it's a 1/3 acre run for him with 4' tall goat fencing, with barbed hot wires at 4.5' and at 5' high. He just uses his body weight to deform the goat fencing and slips through. I spent $2k on the enclosure and don't want to redo it. If he's not in the run, he is leash-walked back to the barn.

The level of animosity from this neighbor is pretty strong. I am not sure how to bridge it. I have waved to them in the past and they just stare and drive by. Once there was a uncontrolled fire in my yard, and eventually I called the fire department, and the neighbor just drove by slowly, twice, staring, never checked if I was Ok or spoke to me.

Good fences make good neighbors. Depending on your state's laws, he very possibly could shoot and kill your dog for coming onto his land- and he'd almost certainly be justified. I don't trust ANY dog to be guaranteed harmless, especially one that you admit to be "mean" to one of your other animals. Keep your dog on your land to help keep the situation from escalating.

I've had a neighbor's dog come onto my property four times and kill between four and six chickens each time. The neighbor dismissed my complaint each time saying that his dog has always been free ranging and it would be cruel to kennel him at its age.

I called our county sheriff and the deputy who came out told me to "just shoot the damn thing" next time; a landowner is exonerated from wrongdoing if he shoots a dog that comes on his land. There is also a "dog at large" law that would cite a dog's owner if it harasses people, pets or livestock. He advised me that I could fire a few shots to dissuade the dog's visits if it came towards our property as long as I didn't fire onto their property and, if I did have to shoot the dog, to make absolutely sure it was on my property. The deputy also visited the neighbor and let him know that he told me to shoot their dog next time it entered my property.

The neighbor decided it was less cruel to kennel his dog than have it get shot for being a chicken killer.

I have killed one dog, one bobcat and seven or eight coyotes in the last four years while protecting our flock. I have absolutely no guilty feelings for putting down the dog. It may have been someone's beloved pet but, from my perspective, it was trying to kill a number of animals that represent a large investment in time and money and a food source for my family.
This is exactly the legal situation where I am. It sounds like I have no choice but to put more money into the fence. Thanks @Coops Dad

This actually boils down to how much do you love your dog to make sure he's kept home and under control. Permit me to tell you a true story.

My neighbors across the canyon never seemed to be able to keep their dogs at home. On several occasions, their two dogs would show up on my property and it concerned me they could be a threat to my chickens should they be free ranging at a time the dogs showed up and I wasn't outside watching over them. I talked to these neighbors and explained that while I had no ill will towards their dogs, they did pose a lethal threat to my chickens and that I would shoot and kill the dogs if they attacked my chickens.

At the end of this chat, the wife was crying and the husband was resolved to keep the dogs at home. But he pointed to his wife saying, "She thinks it's cruel to keep the dogs confined, so I can't promise this won't happen again, so go ahead and shoot the dogs if you have to."

I never had to shoot the dogs, at least one of them, anyway. The dog was found miles from home by the railroad tracks dead and mangled, tangled up in barbwire. It had died a long, slow, painful death because the wife thought it cruel to keep her dog confined.
You have a lot of good stories to share @azygous

This is YOU projecting.. and judging your neighbor for how they look. WOW!

Sounds like your neighbor is living their life and YOU might be the stalker.

Please understand that I don't really feel that way about you.. I'm only trying or attempting to point out that your perspective and personal fears or conspiracy theories might be influencing your thoughts and experience. Maybe try giving your neighbor the benefit of the doubt.. they don't have to be scared to know that sometimes big dogs attack little dogs even.. and every single one of us will do what it takes when the time comes to protect what we love dearly.. You personally described him as "mean" to your neutered companion dog despite not having shown human aggression..

So can a car driving by.. you're neighbor's intent is NOT to kill your dog.. But his actions can point to just how key it is to ensure your dogs are EFFECTIVELY contained.. I know some are escape artists that will find away.. and can be frustrating.. The neighbor cannot be blamed for YOUR dogs actions and being at large..

I do hope the situation improves between you and your neighbor.. it's much better to live in peace and harmony knowing your neighbors have your back (best they can) rather than under suspicion.

Choose LOVE not fear.. BE the change. :hugs
With all due respect, you don't know what the neighbor's intent is. I live here, I deal with them daily. I probably do need better fencing but if I am fearful for my dog's life with the current fence and legal conditions, it's justified.

People here are unpredictable. Another neighbor lost a cat last year; the cat wandered onto a family's property (a family with horses, buggies, and lots of kids), and their teenage son shot it with an arrow. The cat crawled home but was unable to get through the doggy door being impaled with an arrow. They had to put the cat down. The cat's owner went and spoke sternly to the kid and his parents, and there hasn't been an issue since. (These two neighbors are not the one I am dealing with, they just live between us.)

I mentioned in the original post there I did build a physical fence for him; it's a 1/3 acre run for him with 4' tall goat fencing, with barbed hot wires at 4.5' and at 5' high. He just uses his body weight to deform the goat fencing and slips through. I spent $2k on the enclosure and don't want to redo it. If he's not in the run, he is leash-walked back to the barn.

The level of animosity from this neighbor is pretty strong. I am not sure how to bridge it. I have waved to them in the past and they just stare and drive by. Once there was a uncontrolled fire in my yard, and eventually I called the fire department, and the neighbor just drove by slowly, twice, staring, never checked if I was Ok or spoke to me.
Oh, how sad. I'm sorry. That stinks 😞

Back
Top Bottom