Advice on neighbor who shot at my dog

IMG_20240128_121823893.jpg

Here is what the fence and the dog look like. The dog climbs between the goat fencing and the barbed wire to get out. I am not sure how to fix this without redoing the entire fence.

IMG_20240128_121850994_HDR.jpg

Have you tried baiting the hot wire at intervals to get the dog to engage with the hot fence? I've watched bears come upon my hot wire around my run, discover the peanut butter on the wire, then do what bears always do when they discover food. The result was a very agile 180 in mid-air and four fat little legs that moved much faster than one would expect. Never to return.

A direct encounter with 10,000 volts via a wet nose or tongue is a teacher unequaled.

The neighbors on our other side have two LGDs that are contained by an invisible fence/shock collar setup. It works very well until either the dog's coat grows long enough to prevent the prongs from reaching skin or the batteries wear out. Those dogs leave my chickens alone but they're hell on my Siberian Husky/GSD mix. They "guard" her and won't let her walk away from wherever they catch her. They don't hurt her; she's just not allowed to move under threat of being bitten. So I occasionally end up with three dogs sitting in my front yard- one under guard and two watching with baleful eyes and an undercurrent of implied menace.

BUT BUT BUT... when it works, it works perfectly.

Oh he knows the hot wire hurts. Only the top wire is hot. He slides between the grounding wire just under it, and the goat fencing.
Have you tried baiting the hot wire at intervals to get the dog to engage with the hot fence? I've watched bears come upon my hot wire around my run, discover the peanut butter on the wire, then do what bears always do when they discover food. The result was a very agile 180 in mid-air and four fat little legs that moved much faster than one would expect. Never to return.

A direct encounter with 10,000 volts via a wet nose or tongue is a teacher unequaled.

Is there some way to make the entire fence electrified and not just the top wire?

Easy. Take any unsheathed steel wire and secure one end to the top wire and the other end to one of the lower wires. Be sure, thought that the lower wire is insulated from the power transferring to the ground, which would make it and the top wire useless.

Electricity isn't rocket science. You only need to give it a proper path and it will love to perform its neat tricks.

To electrify the entire fence would be difficult and probably dangerous. It won't require much to condition your dog to avoid the entire fence. Baiting really works wonders to shorten the learning curve for the animal.

I feel ya 100%. I've owned multiple houdini dogs. I currently have a tibetan mastiff mixed with bloodhound that is an escape artist. He has made himself a stench in the nostrils of my neighbors on multiple occasions. One set of neighbors near us kept picking him up and dropping our dog at the pound, costing us $40 each time to bail him out. With another neighbor, he got their much smaller dog pregnant and we ended up footing their vet bills. All in all, we had to:

1) get our dog neutered and microchipped

2) We had to humbly apologize to various sets of neighbors on multiple occasions. We exchanged cell phone #'s with the neighbors so if our dog got out, we would text them to let them know it and that we were out trying to catch him. And if he got out while I was at work, the neighbor would text us to inform us, and I would send a friend or family member to go find him. So they knew they didn't have to take matters into their own hands.

3) We put in a 7' livestock welded wire fence with a pvc pipe framed gate like this that has a top and bottom latch so it won't flex. pvc gate I've watched a collie, a german shepherd, beagles, and now this mastiff/hound mix pop over a 4' fence like it was barely an inconvenience. I had a collie that used to bust through a 7 strand hot wire high tensile fence because his thick fur protected him from the jolts that would push a stud horse (and our goats) back. Also, before the upgrades when I kept chickens in a fence my dog would use brute strength to stretch the fencing at the gate to squeeze through. He ate a lot of chicken that way, alas.

Could try something like this? https://www.dogproofer.com/products/houdini-curved-fence-extensions?variant=12903110836279 It's stupid pricey but maybe you could make one zip tying cheap fiberglass rods to your T posts?

We also made parts of our 7' fence using 4' sections overlapped by 2' zip-tied. We only used 7' T posts every 3 posts with 5' T posts in the center of each section cuz that's what we had on hand. I rolled some logs up against the bottom of the fence in a couple low spots so he is discouraged from going under.

Good luck!!!

I feel ya 100%. I've owned multiple houdini dogs. I currently have a tibetan mastiff mixed with bloodhound that is an escape artist. He has made himself a stench in the nostrils of my neighbors on multiple occasions. One set of neighbors near us kept picking him up and dropping our dog at the pound, costing us $40 each time to bail him out. With another neighbor, he got their much smaller dog pregnant and we ended up footing their vet bills. All in all, we had to:

1) get our dog neutered and microchipped

2) We had to humbly apologize to various sets of neighbors on multiple occasions. We exchanged cell phone #'s with the neighbors so if our dog got out, we would text them to let them know it and that we were out trying to catch him. And if he got out while I was at work, the neighbor would text us to inform us, and I would send a friend or family member to go find him. So they knew they didn't have to take matters into their own hands.

3) We put in a 7' livestock welded wire fence with a pvc pipe framed gate like this that has a top and bottom latch so it won't flex. pvc gate I've watched a collie, a german shepherd, beagles, and now this mastiff/hound mix pop over a 4' fence like it was barely an inconvenience. I had a collie that used to bust through a 7 strand hot wire high tensile fence because his thick fur protected him from the jolts that would push a stud horse (and our goats) back. Also, before the upgrades when I kept chickens in a fence my dog would use brute strength to stretch the fencing at the gate to squeeze through. He ate a lot of chicken that way, alas.

Could try something like this? https://www.dogproofer.com/products/houdini-curved-fence-extensions?variant=12903110836279 It's stupid pricey but maybe you could make one zip tying cheap fiberglass rods to your T posts?

We also made parts of our 7' fence using 4' sections overlapped by 2' zip-tied. We only used 7' T posts every 3 posts with 5' T posts in the center of each section cuz that's what we had on hand. I rolled some logs up against the bottom of the fence in a couple low spots so he is discouraged from going under.

Good luck!!!
Ok, sounds like 7 feet is the way to go. Thanks.

It's good you want to fix the issue. I no longer have sympathy for owners that fail to contain their dogs without trying. Nuisance dogs have become a real problem in my area. Within the last 6 months I know of 3 different instances of goats being killed, several instances of chickens being killed (including 30 in one attack), cats being killed, an elderly dog being bit, and a small dog being nearly killed. That dog owner has had to pay over $10K in vet bills so far but it will likely be more. These were the results of different dogs that the owners failed to contain. Dogs that kept getting out over and over.

Personally, my dog and I dealt with two large, aggressive LGD almost biting my dog two days in a row. That particular dog owner was well aware of the problems and yet continued to let her dogs in a yard she knew wouldn't contain them. A visit from a sheriff's deputy and a harsh tongue lashing on a local neighborhood site finally got her to address the issue. The problems that had been going on for a year were suddenly solved in less than a week. I'm pretty sure it was actually the threat of legal issues that got her attention, or maybe her husband was tired of dealing with it.

All those dogs were lucky there weren't more people willing to shot them. Sad to say, but it would have saved a lot of other animals from pain and death. I love dogs but I wish people would stop acting like their precious pets aren't also predators that need to be trained and contained.

Back
Top Bottom