Advice on pecking order! Separate the chicks or normal behaviour?

Lemak123

Hatching
Jun 12, 2017
Hi, I am recently a new chick owner and my chicks have now got to the age where they're establishing the pecking order. I know it's normal thing for chicks to do but I'm not sure if the injuries are normal or maybe they need separating. I'll add a photo of the chick showing the Injuries. Please could someone tell me what would be the best thing to do, is it better to leave them to settle the pecking order or do they need separating:( thanks, Leah

Attachments

• received_1364025947008821.jpeg
    received_1364025947008821.jpeg
    50.4 KB · Views: 12
I would separate her/him from the others for awhile. Or you could buy some anti peck spray and spray it on. Chickens hate the taste of it.

Where are they living? There aren't normally injuries with chick pecking order squabbling but crowded conditions can cause abnormal behavior.

Welcome! I agree, crowding isn't good, and young chicks with a heat lamp need the red light, not white light. How many chicks do you have, and the size of the brooder/coop, and diet. Pictures will help too, and breeds of chicks. Mary

I'm a newbie and it is hysterical watching the ongoing head hen competition-- chicks are a bit over 2 weeks. No injuries but bitty pecks and pushing and shoving, stealing food from each other, a bit of chick "yelling" etc. Injuries I know would worry me.

Mine have enough room and I've paid attention to their behavior and moved the red heat lamp further away every few days when they start sleeping a little further from it.

Sooner or later your birds will tie up to settle the pecking order issue. It is much more preferable for them to have it out now, while they are young and cannot do as much damage to one another than it is to wait until they are adults and risk them doing serious damage to their flock mates.

Any bird showing signs of injury should be removed from physical interaction with the rest of the birds (but ideally still in the brooder). Any signs of blood is like a red rag to a bull - others will continue to peck at the wound.

Chicks from very early on will peck at one another a little (not very convincing as tough guys, but they do their best). I don't remember any significant injuries resulting at the chick stage. I've had pullets get injured a little. If there's any blood, the bird has to be separated until it heals: it usually takes a few days and goes fine. It put 'em in an old rabbit cage.

I have a special chick cage I made which is 5 feet by 3 feet and a couple of feet high, big enough that they can work things out geographically as they get older and more active. Having that extra room defuses a lot of tension, I think. It also helps with heat: some chicks just don't seem to like it as warm as others, and they have cooler areas to seek out.

Agreed, more info needed: Age of chicks, how many, exact dimensions of the brooder, temp at heated end and non heated end if they are still getting heat. Heat source. Protein % of their feed, mill date of their feed. Definitely separate the picked on chick, but if possible keep her within sight of the rest. perhaps give her a buddy, but only if the buddy does not pick on her. Provide some diversions in the brooder.

Back
Top Bottom