Advice on runaway hen

ilovemychooks

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 7, 2011
I have a precious little Rhode Island named Destiny. She is almost fully grown. Since she was a tiny chick she was always the most adventurous out of all my chooks. I can't for the life of me keep her in the backyard. I have never had this issue before. I have good sturdy tall fencing but she still manages to escape. I have clipped her wings but she can still fly extremely high. How can I stop this? My neighbours keep finding her in their yards and near the road. She once went missing for almost a week and then she appeared again by my front door. Every morning she escapes and then taps on the front glass door to let me know she's hungry or she wants to come in. She's the only one of my chickens that likes to come in to the house and she's the only one that holds her poop until she get's outside (she's only had one accident!). Actually now I'm not sure if I have a problem or just an extraordinary hen. Anyone else got a similar little bundle of feathers?
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

She sounds like she has her own agenda.
lol.png
Can't help you with containment plans, How high are the fences, and any way to increase that?
She should get heavier as she ages and probably will lose her ability to fly.

and

15498_rain_on_glass.jpg

Imp

ilovemychooks....Did you say you clipped her wings? that may be the mistake......you should clip only the one wing, so that attempts at flight are very 'wobbly' and the hen will no longer try.

Mine fly all over the place, but never try to escape.....thank goodness (as some of them behave like sprinters on speed)

Wow, she sounds like a very special chicken! Are you sure you're not my neighbour? We have a little RIR that flies over the fence almost every day too!
gig.gif

I agree with pgpoultry: try just clipping one wing, as it puts them off balance when they try to fly
smile.png

Good luck!

Oh, my word! That sounds just like my Production Red, Banana! My neighbors know her very well
lol.png
I had to clip one of her wings so she would stop flying over our 8ft tall fence, since then, she jumps straight up to look over the fence!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom