TheSheriffswife

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 13, 2011
Baldwinsville NY
Hi Guys..Need some advice..
This is my first hatch..I have the Brinsea Octo advance EX fired up
big_smile.png
I ordered 20 eggs of 5 different breeds, (Marans, Ameracaunas, Lavender Orphs, Olive Eggers & BLR Wyans) anyway..They were shipped Monday Priority Mail, usually arrive in 2 days according to the breeder..Well the box came today, 3 days and I opened it, and was nervous because I was missing all the Lavenders and the Ameracaunas..then it dawned on me that she said it would be shipped in 2 boxes..I think? So, not sure why I didn't get the other box, but what should I do as far as these eggs today?
Should I wait and see if I get the other box tomorrow? and put them all in together..Or is it ok to put these in now, and then if they come tomorrow put those in then? The Breeder sent them very safely packed in cartons point down so well padded that I don't think they even got jostled..She had said previously to bring to room temp and put right in Bator..Also, I have those foam separators that came with the Brinsea, when I put the eggs in do I put straight up and (point) side down or angled or on side?
I did email her so i am waiting to hear back..
I just like to have advice I am a nervous new Momma!!
Any input would be appreciated!
Thanks!

You are supposed to let shipped eggs settle some for 8 hours I THINK before putting them in the incubator. This is what I have done in the past, anyhow. Hopefully others will be able to tell you more.

So if it were me, I would wait for the second box. But that's just me. That's so it doesn't mess up lockdown, with some needing to be turned and some not.

Just my opinion. I have only hatched in the incubator three times, though!
lol.png

Did you get a tracking number for both boxes? If so maybe you could check to see where the other box is. I would wait until you get the other box.

I've set multiple shipments for the same hatch, letting them sit a day or 2 extra wont hurt them, but a staggered hatch might since chicks would be pipping when you have other chicks to get out.

The eggs need to settle after shipping, minimum I do is 12 hours, but usually I let them sit a full 24 hrs. Just set them in a tray or carton wide end up, place in a cool place 50-65F, when the other box arrives let them settle the same way and then put them all in the incubator at the same time.

Quote:
Hmmm yeah, no tracking number. I prob. should have requested that. I am crossing my fingers for tomorrow..But thanks for all the advice! I'm not sure why the Breeder says to just bring to room temp and put right in Bator..not to let them set for hours? I'm confused..
tongue.png
Yes, My gut tells me to wait and set them all together too.. just wanted some feedback..

If all the eggs had arrived then let them sit for at least 8 hours. I'd wait for the second box before putting in the incubator. Keep the delivered eggs in a room that is slightly cooler than the others, I stored eggs like this for a week to enable me to get enough eggs to incubate at once! No problems.....

Back
Top Bottom