Advice on sick hen - (Non-urgent but still an issue)

jonalisa

Codswallop!
8 Years
May 28, 2013
NH
My Coop
My Coop
My Silver Cuckoo Marans hen, Alice, has had a tough 6 years. She has a foot or leg issue where she can't walk for weeks, then suddenly she can walk or even run and then a few weeks later she can't walk at all again. Right now she has problems walking and she can't roost. So she's accustomed to sleeping on a towel on the poop board. The past few days she doesn't even try to get down from the poop board in the morning; so I put her on and off, night and day. Last night, I noticed she had a billiard ball-size wad of semi-hard poop on her backside, so brought her in and bathed her and gave her an Epsom soak, and dried her. I noticed her crop was empty so I gave her a boiled egg with PolyVisol-no iron and she gobbled it down.
Today I went out there and she was sitting on the poop board with her face in a corner not moving. I brought her in and offered food (no interest) but then removed it when realized her crop is semi-full. I don't smell any yeast odor. I have her in a crate in my kitchen and gave her water with aspirin in it and a small bowl of coconut oil pieces. She's not interested. She was laying eggs up until yesterday and while she rallied often to where she could walk after a couple of weeks, I think her rallying days are over.

What should I be watching for or doing for her?
Thanks.

Today I see her crop is not completely empty. She's puffed up, as well.
I'll look this up, but appreciate any advice. can see her crop is likely not emptying...

This is more or less what’s going on with one of my ganders. He developed neurological issues in March and started refusing to eat, lost his ability to walk, was put on Cipro and Amoxicillin when his metal toxicity tests came up negative, began to recover and walk again after two weeks of the antibiotics. He recovered to being pretty much normal, then after a week began to regress, and regress worse than he was.
So far I now can’t afford more vet testing/care so I’m having to go it alone and do the best I can.
Right now I’m working off of two possibilities.

1 he has renal tumors, in this case there isn’t anything I can do but keep him comfortable as possible.

2 He has Kinky Back, he had an infection and inflammation in his spine, the antibiotics started working but not before he possibly developed a cyst on his spinal cord, he displays all the usual symptoms of it, but still has some feeling and movement left so I’m giving him all he needs in the hopes he can recover more movement.

The tough part is that your chicken recovered, then regressed, that makes it more than confusing, “that’s what my vet said about my gander.”

She could have a bacterial infection, it could be cancer related, it could be viral, organ related, it could be multiple things. It’s hard to say what to do without a clear diagnosis like in my case so all you can do is try to treat her symptomatically and keep her compfortable, give her body time and all it needs to recover.

You can try giving her Vitamin B complex and Rooster Booster Poultry Cell, maybe put some lemon in her water to reduce inflammation. I’ve been giving my gander omega 3, milk thistle, berries to boost his antioxidants, and probiotics.

It really sounds like she is probably having a slow crop related to a possible reproductive problem. It is great that she has laid up to now. Does she have any enlargement or fullness in her lower belly, between her legs? If so, it is firm or spongy, or tight? Does she have access to poultry grit for her gizzard to function? I would offer some moist chicken feed and a little scrambled egg when she is hungry. If her crop is full and not emptyijg, I would just encourage water. Crop slowdown can eventually lead to sour crop. I have never had any luck treating crop problems in older hens. I just let them eat and do what they want, when they want, and at some point they either die or if they are being pecked, I put them down.

It really sounds like she is probably having a slow crop related to a possible reproductive problem. It is great that she has laid up to now. Does she have any enlargement or fullness in her lower belly, between her legs? If so, it is firm or spongy, or tight? Does she have access to poultry grit for her gizzard to function? I would offer some moist chicken feed and a little scrambled egg when she is hungry. If her crop is full and not emptyijg, I would just encourage water. Crop slowdown can eventually lead to sour crop. I have never had any luck treating crop problems in older hens. I just let them eat and do what they want, when they want, and at some point they either die or if they are being pecked, I put them down.
(I just saw this...I have 8 new chicks in my brooder that will be a week old on Monday. It's been a hectic week.)
I will definitely check her abdomen in the morning. The chickens do have grit that I provide in a bowl next to a waterer, but also my coop litter is sand, as is the covered run.
She was out with the flock today for a short time... We have a lot of hawks right now and I had to herd them back in after about an hour. She was eating grass and digging up worms and staying in one spot. However, her crop was still partially full but felt soft... not squishy though. I made her scrambled egg but she wasn't interested. I did get some B12 complex in her as @Goosebaby suggested.

She really does her best to keep up with the flock. She doesn't want to stand out. She'll make her way to wherever they are, but sit on the periphery. Tonight I went out to the coop and she was already on the poop board on her towel, before any of the others had roosted. I felt her crop and it felt a little more full than earlier.
I will see what tomorrow brings.

Thanks for the great advice and knowledge, as usual. I really appreciate it.

So, just posting an update on Alice.
I have had her in the house for 2 days, expecting her to pass. She's been sitting in one spot, eyes closed, full crop. I've been intermittently offering greek yogurt, beef baby food, coconut oil pieces, mineral oil and water (alternating fresh water with water containing polyvisol -no iron, liquid b-complex and some calcium citrate.) I also spend a few minutes massaging her crop gently, a few times a day.
I realized she had laid an egg yesterday out in the coop. So when I found her yesterday morning on the poop board, she must have already gotten down to the nestboxes, laid and gotten back up on the poop board.
This morning her crop is almost completely empty. She's having trouble walking - a combination of her bad foot/leg and sitting so long in a crate.
I'm going to give her some time outside today - our first sunny day in a while.
I had her out with the flock the other day and they were all trying to attack her- so I use a squirt gun and eventually they were all pretty much ignoring her. We'll see how it goes from here.
Thanks, @Eggcessive and @Goosebaby for all your support!

So, just posting an update on Alice.
I have had her in the house for 2 days, expecting her to pass. She's been sitting in one spot, eyes closed, full crop. I've been intermittently offering greek yogurt, beef baby food, coconut oil pieces, mineral oil and water (alternating fresh water with water containing polyvisol -no iron, liquid b-complex and some calcium citrate.) I also spend a few minutes massaging her crop gently, a few times a day.
I realized she had laid an egg yesterday out in the coop. So when I found her yesterday morning on the poop board, she must have already gotten down to the nestboxes, laid and gotten back up on the poop board.
This morning her crop is almost completely empty. She's having trouble walking - a combination of her bad foot/leg and sitting so long in a crate.
I'm going to give her some time outside today - our first sunny day in a while.
I had her out with the flock the other day and they were all trying to attack her- so I use a squirt gun and eventually they were all pretty much ignoring her. We'll see how it goes from here.
Thanks, @Eggcessive and @Goosebaby for all your support!
You’re doing so much for her ❤️

Back
Top Bottom