Advice on taming my 5 and a half week ducklings???

Maple, again. She is very demanding of the camera. Our daughter reckons she is Marilyn Monroe reincarnated. She certainly walks like her.

1656449265113.png

Please note the waterproof blanket. Very effective. Interestingly, although the ducks cannot control when they defecate, they are always aware of when they need to go and make sure they don't cover us. And always on a hard floor!
I slightly disagree on the control defecating. I know my ducks have purposely waited to unleash one on me to show their distain! Not fun one waits till you are right behind her... 🙄. It is amazing how a good day will be you didn't get pooped on 😆.

I slightly disagree on the control defecating. I know my ducks have purposely waited to unleash one on me to show their distain! Not fun one waits till you are right behind her... 🙄. It is amazing how a good day will be you didn't get pooped on 😆.
I'm genuinely conflicted regarding defecating. Biologically, they do not have a sphincter, which lowers their control. However, they are attuned to their bodies and realise when they need to go. They wriggle about and get a little distressed to warn you. Generally, when they defecate on us, it's because we have not seen the indicators, either because we do not spot them or we are distracted.

I've also found that taming and training is a two-way street. The ducks are incredibly adaptive to new experiences, a lot of humans aren't. Let your ducks teach you too!

I find that they 'watch' a lot, so I cuddle the ones that like to cuddle in front of the least cuddly, that shows them there is no (less than they feared) danger. Then I cuddle everyone before I leave. I keep them high up when small, their bedroom is a high wide shelf (with walls made of old windows) above the rest of the world, (they dislike being towered over) and lastly, if you can approach with your arms behind your back they are calmer. Arms and hands are stressful to them.

In general birds like music and signing, so sometimes singing them a lullaby helps (if you have a favorite song just sing it softly, that becomes a lullaby)

Love love love them :) they will notice. Watch them softly and without big moves when they are playing.

Back
Top Bottom