Advice on treating the face of a "Biter"

Baby aspirin is small, often tastes good too. Offer it in your hand with some rice, scratch, corn or with some of his feed as a "treat". My birds don't much care what I feed them by hand, as long as I feed them *something* by hand (hahaha). Seriously. I can "treat" them with the same food they get day in, day out, but if I offer it from my hand, they're delighted!
As for the "what if" question regarding infection and super glue, you'd have to peel the glue off (as if the glue were a scab), and then apply pressure to the wound to force the cheese-like pus out of the wound in the same manner that you'd deal with bumblefoot (without the warm water soak, of course) (Laughing at my own joke there).

How did he get injured?
Pics of the wounds?
Pecking order shake up. Months ago the larger but lowest ranking rooster was able to take advantage of his bout with fowl pox and overtake him. Ever since, every few months, he tries to reclaim his spot but doesn't succeed. He was far more determined this time but still unsuccessful. I'm planning on removing the spurs from both of them, but his injuries seem to be from biting. A few months ago, he got his foot entangled in a chain link fence while fighting with the same rooster, and I had to treat his foot/leg but that went well. He is a very hardheaded rooster that HATES waiting until last for anything. He just can't seem to accept his status. I'll get a new picture of his wattle that I'm worried about. Hopefully he'll cooperate.

How did he get injured?
Pics of the wounds?
Pecking order shake up. Months ago the larger but lowest ranking rooster was able to take advantage of his bout with fowl pox and overtake him. Ever since, every few months, he tries to reclaim his spot but doesn't succeed. He was far more determined this time but still unsuccessful. I'm planning on removing the spurs from both of them, but his injuries seem to be from biting. A few months ago, he got his foot entangled in a chain link fence while fighting with the same rooster, and I had to treat his foot/leg but that went well. He is a very hardheaded rooster that HATES waiting until last for anything. He just can't seem to accept his status. I'll get a new picture of his wattle that I'm worried about. Hopefully he'll cooperate.

Right, so remove one of the cockerels.
The 3 of them are hatchmates and they established their bachelor Flock almost 2 years ago. I've been saying that two of them need to be culled but haven't been able to do it. Are they good for eating at nearly 2 years old? (20 months to be exact) I really hate for their life to have no purpose. I guess I could think of their lives as a lesson. I am such a softie.

Last edited:
Are they good for eating at nearly 2 years old?

It's all in the preparation. Pressure cooking is recommended. I don't know from experience here; there are several threads on BYC. Alternately, shred or grind the meat for something like tacos. Or, feed it to dogs if you have them.

Good luck with your situation.

Are they good for eating at nearly 2 years old?
Yep, good for soup/stock.
Just rest the cleaned carcass in the fridge for 3-4 days to help tenderize the meat,
worked fine here for 30 month old hens.
I do use a pressure cooker, but old hens breast meat was tender enough for a sandwich.

I know this sounds mean, but if you can enlist the help of a second person they can hold the chicken upside down by the legs. They can't really do much in this position and you should be able to apply whatever ointment you need. I hope this helps!! Good luck!!!
I would advise not to do this, as it can easily lead to suffocation (chickens do not have an abdominal membrane helping to keep the organs in place) or death due to aspiration of crop content.

Baby aspirin is small, often tastes good too. Offer it in your hand with some rice, scratch, corn or with some of his feed as a "treat". My birds don't much care what I feed them by hand, as long as I feed them *something* by hand (hahaha). Seriously. I can "treat" them with the same food they get day in, day out, but if I offer it from my hand, they're delighted!
As for the "what if" question regarding infection and super glue, you'd have to peel the glue off (as if the glue were a scab), and then apply pressure to the wound to force the cheese-like pus out of the wound in the same manner that you'd deal with bumblefoot (without the warm water soak, of course) (Laughing at my own joke there).
Yeah I just popped the baby aspirin in her mouth and held her beak closed.

Back
Top Bottom