Advice on Turkey Eggs Needed

55 seems a little high for chicken and turkey.

I shoot for 25 to 30 during incubation
Then raise 65 to 70 for hatch.

I've tried different ways to incubate this is what has given me the best results.

He had been in with them approx two weeks. So I should not give up. I will try again. One of the hens has made a nest and is starting to collect eggs. We take them daily. I am afraid that the other birds (chickens, ducks and Guineas) will peck at them and break them. I guess I need to get some more fake eggs. Can I use fake chicken eggs?? We hatch ducks without a problem. Our duck hatching ratio is higher than our chicken hatching. Not sure why though. This is the second batch of turkey eggs. None have hatched
1f61e.png
. The first batch was using our BBW tom though. Also do the turkey eggs have to be turned, like chicken eggs while waiting to get enough for her to sit on? Sorry this is so long.
BBW tuekeys are not good at reproducing with heritage turkeys the first time i had turkeys i had a BBW tom and a Narragansett turkey and he did not seem to mate with her and her eggs were not fertile so we got a royal palm turkey and those eggs were completely fertile and she had 3 hatches from that tom. So broad breasted is not good for reproducing with a heritage i recommend getting a heritage tom of some sort.

BBW tuekeys are not good at reproducing with heritage turkeys the first time i had turkeys i had a BBW tom and a Narragansett turkey and he did not seem to mate with her and her eggs were not fertile so we got a royal palm turkey and those eggs were completely fertile and she had 3 hatches from that tom. So broad breasted is not good for reproducing with a heritage i recommend getting a heritage tom of some sort.

We have a Royal Palm Tom for our BBW hens. Our BBW Tom we know can't do the deed.

Just an update on my turkey hens. My Narragansett hen started setting last Thursday!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that at least some of the eggs are viable. Just 24 days to find out!

Well, my turkeys eeggs hatched sometime on Saturday. Five cute little fluff balls! I put panels all around the inside of the pen so they couldn't get through the fencing and removed the huge tarp that I had covered the pen with for the winter. Unfortunately, I didn't notice a hole in the pen at shoulder height that the tarp had covered. I went out this morning and knew immediately that something was wrong by the where the hens were sitting in the pen and their demeanor. Sure enough, a raccoon had gotten in and killed two of the poults. I feel just sick about it, especially because it's my fault.
I'm thankful the hens and three remaining poults are ok, but could I buy some poults and put them with my hens or would they kill them? I am fixing the pen after work today.

Well, my turkeys eeggs hatched sometime on Saturday. Five cute little fluff balls! I put panels all around the inside of the pen so they couldn't get through the fencing and removed the huge tarp that I had covered the pen with for the winter. Unfortunately, I didn't notice a hole in the pen at shoulder height that the tarp had covered. I went out this morning and knew immediately that something was wrong by the where the hens were sitting in the pen and their demeanor. Sure enough, a raccoon had gotten in and killed two of the poults. I feel just sick about it, especially because it's my fault.
I'm thankful the hens and three remaining poults are ok, but could I buy some poults and put them with my hens or would they kill them? I am fixing the pen after work today.

Sorry to hear that you lost some poults to a stinking raccoon. I know the feeling about loosing babies. On the bright side, he could have killed the mom and the babies. Good luck with the rest of them.

Depends on the mom. I had one hen that would adopt any chick/poult that came along while she was brooding.

But another hen lost her clutch and she tried then to kill any poult she saw.

If you want I would say give it a try just be watchful and see how she takes to them.

Back
Top Bottom