Advice on wry neck?? I have 0 experience with chicks

alligatorr

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2022
We received a bunch of chicks maybe 3 weeks ago and I noticed this one chick last week lying down with a crooked neck. I searched it and it's probably a wry neck?

I don't know what type of chick it is but it's a yellow one. I don't know either if it's a male or female. I separated it from the flock and been keeping it in a box with a wrapped hot compress since.

Chick can't eat, drink, or stand on its own. After a day of not eating, I started tube feeding it ground up mash feed with water and giving it vitamin E. Its neck got a bit better. But its overall condition got worse the next day so I gave it some egg yolk but for the next 12+ hours, its crop wasn't emptying. I really thought it was a goner. Eyes weren't opening, pooping out bile, neck was limp.

I kept giving it drops of water + ACV and later that day, its crop emptied and it started opening its eyes again. Its neck was also better. It's been maybe 4-5 days since then and its neck has gotten worse again (it's been a rollercoaster ride) I can feel all the twists in it. Its neck has twisted nearly 360 degrees. I still give it water + ACV, I tube feed it mash feed and egg yolk, and I still give it vitamin E.

The chick doesn't seem to be getting better or worse. It eats and poops but still can't stand and still has a twisted neck. Should I increase the vitamin E dosage? It's only 69g and around 3 weeks old (much much lighter than the rest of the flock). I just pierce a gel capsule and give it about 2-3 drops. I read from someone that they give their chick a whole capsule? Should I do that? and how long before I can see improvements? I don't want to cull it since it doesn't seem to be in pain and it seems to want to keep fighting (I thought it was going to die so many times already 😅)

Attachments

• 16606243496498913420968092891053.jpg
    16606243496498913420968092891053.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20220816_081348.jpg
    IMG_20220816_081348.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 4
Its been this way for 3 weeks? It could be neurological or a poor hatch. I'd do a whole capsule a day for a day or two.
Okay thanks! Should I keep giving it egg yolk? The yolk goes back up its esophagus whenever it lies down the wrong way. I get worried it'll aspirate. This only happens with the yolk, never with the feed or water

Okay thanks! Should I keep giving it egg yolk? The yolk goes back up its esophagus whenever it lies down the wrong way. I get worried it'll aspirate. This only happens with the yolk, never with the feed or water
It needs the yolk for the nutrients since it's not eat as it should, maybe mix it into the mash?

Back
Top Bottom