Advice please about sick chickens.

It helps to get a diagnosis to see exactly what you are dealing with, because we can only guess. MG only remains alive on equipment, coops, hair, clothing, and shoes for about 3 days. Once all of your present birds die off in years down the road, or if you cull, waiting a few weeks before getting new healthy baby chicks from a hatchery will ensure that you won’t have it anymore. But instead of culling I would close your flock. Since they are getting better, you may want to take some time before doing anything hasty. MG is a fairly common disease in backyard flocks and some wild birds carry it.

It helps to get a diagnosis to see exactly what you are dealing with, because we can only guess. MG only remains alive on equipment, coops, hair, clothing, and shoes for about 3 days. Once all of your present birds die off in years down the road, or if you cull, waiting a few weeks before getting new healthy baby chicks from a hatchery will ensure that you won’t have it anymore. But instead of culling I would close your flock. Since they are getting better, you may want to take some time before doing anything hasty. MG is a fairly common disease in backyard flocks and some wild birds carry it

I do want them diagnosed, I just don’t have the money to do so right now. I will call Monday and see what they can do for me. I’m just nervous if they get better. That my whole flock will get it. You said it will relapse , so I will have to treat in the further either way. I don’t even know if I can eat their eggs when they have MG. I know one of hens goes broody , MG passed down to chicks. To me all this bad. Grew up with chickens but first having them as adult. So sorry for all the questions.

Back
Top Bottom