Advice please about sick chickens.

Jodeekep

Chirping
May 2, 2023
Hi , I post a couple days ago about my sick chickens. I ordered tylosin powder to treat my whole flock. I just had chicks hatched and currently are in a separate cage in the coop since I don’t have anywhere else to put them at all. The two that’s showing symptoms, I want to separate but don’t have an extra cage or can buy one at the moment switch sucks. So what I’m asking is , is there anything I can do in the mean time til I can receive the tylosin powder , I do have tylan injectable. I don’t think I can use that on them. I just don’t want the momma and babies getting sick so I’m stumped at the moment.

You can give the Tylan injectable orally, same dose as if you injected. Many give it orally as it's easier and doesn't do the tissue damage that injecting it can. Tylan 50 dose is 1 ml per 5 lbs of body weight twice a day for 5 days.

You can give the Tylan injectable orally, same dose as if you injected. Many give it orally as it's easier and doesn't do the tissue damage that injecting it can. Tylan 50 dose is 1 ml per 5 lbs of body weight twice a day for 5 days.
Are my chickens going to be okay ? Will they be cured or a temporary solution?

Are my chickens going to be okay ? Will they be cured or a temporary solution?
It sounds like you may have MG spreading through your flock, possibly from the chickens you added awhile back. I would close the flock to new birds. Tylan and Tylosin can help treat symptoms, but if they have MG, they will carry it for life. They may get over this outbreak, but others can get sick, and they can have a relapse. Here is some reading about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

It sounds like you may have MG spreading through your flock, possibly from the chickens you added awhile back. I would close the flock to new birds. Tylan and Tylosin can help treat symptoms, but if they have MG, they will carry it for life. They may get over this outbreak, but others can get sick, and they can have a relapse. Here is some reading about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/extension.umd.edu/files/2022-04/FS-1008 Recognizing and Preventing Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf
I don’t want to cull but
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/extension.umd.edu/files/2022-04/FS-1008 Recognizing and Preventing Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf
i read it thank you for the information. I don’t want to cull but will if I have too. In your experience to save my flock what would you suggest to do ? No one is showing signs and I noticed sneezing on Thursday.

I would close the flock—no birds in, none going out. Treat sick birds with symptoms of an outbreak. Culling sick birds or the flock is up to you. Consider culling one and sending it to the state vet for a necropsy and testing. Or do that if you lose one. MG can be passed through hatching eggs to baby chicks.

I would close the flock—no birds in, none going out. Treat sick birds with symptoms of an outbreak. Culling sick birds or the flock is up to you. Consider culling one and sending it to the state vet for a necropsy and testing. Or do that if you lose one. MG can be passed through hatching eggs to baby chicks.

I’m treating now , even if I treat them and they get better. It probably will past to every bird ? I read up there from you it may relapse. So consider my opinions are bad either way. I will have to wait til Monday to even call a vet

Back
Top Bottom